Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which CPU to get here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking into buying a new CPU (LGA 1150), but I'm a bit doubtful as to which one is the best and 'worth' it for its money.

Intel Core i5 4670k
Intel Core i7 4770
Intel Core i7 4770k

Obviously the 4770k is the most expensive one, so I probably won't be going for that unless someone can really convince me otherwise that it's worth saving up for.

So my guess is that it'll probably be between the 4670k and 4770.
Thing is that the 4670k doesn't have Hyperthreading, and the L3 Cache is 6MB vs 8MB of the i7 4770.
Would this really make a significant difference? Post your inputs, and thanks in advance. Smile

P.S. My current CPU is an i7 920 D0 (2.66GHz) (running at stock speeds, because OCing it causes some severe instabilities, even at just 3.00 GHz).
But if anyone knows a better CPU than the ones I posted, for a reasonable price, then feel free to post your suggestions!
Both i5-4670K and i7-4770K are pretty good/excellent for Dolphin.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Hyper-threading is useless, AFAIK. An i5 at 4.0ghz is almost definitely faster for Dolphin than an equivalent i7 at 3.9 ghz. So there's absolutely no use for a 4770 unless you don't like overclocking and need the extra edge of speed and an empty wallet. A 4770k is even more expensive and may or may not overclock better (I don't know.)
And the i5 4670k costs about $20-40 more than the 3570k, but is actually faster at the same clock. If you're not running highly intensive games, you may not even need overclocking, so you may not need K.

Note that the experience behind the review may drop as you read through it. The beginning is accurate, the end, not so sure.
Like jimbo1qaz said, you have to specify the games you will play in Dolphin so you can select the correct CPU you really need.
Just get the i5-4670K. If you need to overclock, make sure to get a motherboard supports it for Haswell.
For Dolphin it's games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil games, F-Zero GX, New Super Mario Bros, etc.

(11-10-2013, 03:57 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Just get the i5-4670K. If you need to overclock, make sure to get a motherboard supports it for Haswell.
I was planning to get an ASUS Maximum IV Hero. People said that was a good board, and the best one of the Maximus IV series.
Then you´re done with the CPU Shonumi mentioned.Smile
(11-10-2013, 03:58 AM)xRyudo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2013, 03:57 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Just get the i5-4670K. If you need to overclock, make sure to get a motherboard supports it for Haswell.
I was planning to get an ASUS Maximum IV Hero. People said that was a good board, and the best one of the Maximus IV series.

It's OK. 4670K + Z87 is currently the best choice for Dolphin
LordVador Wrote:It's OK. 4670K + Z87 is currently the best choice for Dolphin

The motherboard xRyudo posted is a Z87 motherboard though.
Alright, thanks guys. Big Grin

And yeah the board I mentioned is a Z87. I could go for the Z87 Deluxe of course, but is it really worth 100 extra euro that I could spend on additional hardware?

Graphic Card is already covered... my ATI RADEON 5850 died, so I went for the 7850 next. Very reasonable price for a sweet card.
Pages: 1 2