Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Render to main window better? help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have a quick question, on days when i play on dolphin for extended periods of time on fullscreen, eventually down the line i get an epic slowdown for no apparent reason, this slowdown might fix itself it might not.

now when i play in windowed mode i never get a slowdown ever, and while running hwinfo i notice my gpu stays at 20 to 26 percent usage. and even when my cpu bottleneck occurs i notice no slowdowns and the fps doesnt get hit as hard when im in fullscreen mode

now is this because during window mode all rendering is done on one window? like the one im playing in? and during full screen mode theres a separate window so if a bottleneck occurs the gpu might just slow itself down because of it?

and my next question is if i enable render to main window would that make it so fullscreen runs like window mode?
Are you using auto IR?
no im using 1.5 native, 4 AA, scaled efb copy on, efb to ram, OpenCl on, vertex stream enabled.

played 3 hours in windowed mode no slowdowns video card stayed at 26 usage and emulator ran 100-98 percent for the whole time.

in fullscreen mode same play time i get maybe one or two times massive slowdown, like if open cl was off and the cpu started doing everything alone.

i dont understand what render to main window does. because fullscreen says the same thing that render to main window says.

so if i play in windowed mode does that mean that there is a seperate render window? i dont understand =/
1- "Render in main window" runs the game in the same Dolphin´s start window, instead of a rendering window.

2- Full-screen mode uses (as the name says) your WHOLE screen for rendering, instead of using a window.

3- EFB-2-RAM is known for massive slowdowns in some games.

4- Try turning off AA.
ib3killen Wrote:Have a quick question, on days when i play on dolphin for extended periods of time on fullscreen, eventually down the line i get an epic slowdown for no apparent reason, this slowdown might fix itself it might not.

now when i play in windowed mode i never get a slowdown ever, and while running hwinfo i notice my gpu stays at 20 to 26 percent usage. and even when my cpu bottleneck occurs i notice no slowdowns and the fps doesnt get hit as hard when im in fullscreen mode

You need to do three things.

1. Take screengrabs of all of your settings, and post them here. Graphics and otherwise.

2. Tell us what game you are trying to play.

3. Turn off OpenCL (it's broken don't use it)

4. I see you have a 680. Set your Dolphin to high performance mode in the nvidia control panel. That could be the solution.
photobucket is down at the moment as soon as its up i will post screenshots of all my settings.

i cant turn off opencl because if i do i get texture problems in animal parade. i have posted those pics on "OpenCL texture decoder" thread in general discussions. i will repost them here when photobucket goes back up

High performance is already enabled in nvidia settings

i also dont want to turn off AA because if i do my gpu usage goes down to around 10 6 percent usage and i end up not getting the boost i get with it on.

as far as efb to ram being slow yes that is true but in my case its actually good (gpu usage jumps to above 20)when i use it with open cl enable my gpu does most of the work so when i play i dont get massive frame dips. with efb to texture i get 6 percent gpu usage and the cpu gets no help from my gpu.

ill type my settings down. and when the site goes back up ill post screen shots if you guys really need them.

Game HM AP: Properties
Enable Dual core checked
Enable Idle Skipping checked
Speed up Disk Transfer Rate Checked
DspHLE checked
Enable WideScreen checked
Config
Enable Dual core checked
Enable idle skipping checked
framelimit auto no check
DSPHLE
Audio backend openAl @3
Graphics
Backend OpenGl
Force 16:9
When fullscreen checked sometimes i get random slowdowns, no check play in window mode no random slowdown.
1.5 native
aa 4x scaled efb copy

Hacks
efb to ram enable cache checked
Fast depth calculation checked
vertext streaming hack
OpenCl checked

and this is the funny one OpenMP is also checked when its unchecked two cores on cpu bottleneck allot more frequently, when its enabled the two cores rarely hit 97 percent and rarely do they bottleneck
Try turning off AA and set the EFB-2-RAM cache in Fast Mode.
the issue is not speed or performance djbarry.

the issue is that when i play in window mode i dont get massive slowdowns for no reason.

in full screen mode i do.

Example: say im farming in fullscreen out of the blue it goes down to 25 fps, i quit restart in fullscreen same spot same time, no slowdown whatsoever.

now i play in window mode never have an issue at all never any massive slowdowns, same settings.

my issue is in fullscreen mode i will get a random slowdown everynow and then that sometimes fixes itself sometimes it doesnt.

with same settings in windowed mode i get no slowdowns.

which is why i want to know how dolphin renders when its not fullscreen because i dont understand why fullscreen mode says that same thing under its description as render to main window.

why have a redundant setting? or if i check render to main window while its fullscreen does it render like its in window mode? except its full screen? i think that might fix my issue
Try this: start the game in windowed mode. Then, instead of using the graphics panel to change to fullscreen, press alt + enter. See if that works. Sometimes jumping straight to fullscreen will give issues (I thought this was a problem fixed a long time ago, though)
ib3killen's profile Wrote:Operating System: x64

What is your operating system?

ib3killen Wrote:Game HM AP: Properties
Enable Dual core checked
Enable Idle Skipping checked
Speed up Disk Transfer Rate Checked
DspHLE checked
Enable WideScreen checked
Config
Enable Dual core checked
Enable idle skipping checked
framelimit auto no check
DSPHLE
Audio backend openAl @3
Graphics
Backend OpenGl
Force 16:9
When fullscreen checked sometimes i get random slowdowns, no check play in window mode no random slowdown.
1.5 native
aa 4x scaled efb copy

Hmm, not much weird here, other than OpenCL. I suggest turning off "Speed up disc transfer rate" and seeing if it has any effect (shouldn't but worth a try).

All in all, it is looking more and more like a system issue. So what is your OS, what graphics drivers are you using, and what version are those drivers?
Pages: 1 2