Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NINTENDO Emu-official REVIEW 09 - Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
NINTENDO Emu-official REVIEW 09
Thanks to "The Emulator Zone" , "XTemulation" and "Dolphin-Emu Forums"

[color=#006400]EMULATORS tested:

FCEUX 2.1.1 - NES
ZSNES v1.51- SNES
Project 64 v1.7.0.49 - Nintendo 64
Visual Boy Advance v1.80 - Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance
NO$GBA v2.6 - Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS
Dolphin SVN 3903 - Gamecube and Wii
[/color]
Computers used:

[color=#696969]WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP3 x86
NVIDIA TNT 16MB GPU
INTEL PENTIUM IV 1.5 Ghz
512MB RAM

WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 x86
ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 256MB
INTEL DUAL CORE 1.86Ghz
2GB RAM

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE x64
NVIDIA 9300 GS 256MB
INTEL DUAL CORE 2.6Ghz
4GB RAM
[/color]

These emu will be rated 1.0 - Weak 2.0 - Beta 3.0 - Normal 4.0 -Good play =D 5.0 - Perfect
7 sections - Compability, interface, requirements, multiplayer, extras, enhancements and support.

FCEUX 2.1.1 - 4.1
ZSNES v1.51 - 4.4
Project 64 v1.7.0.49 - 4.7
Visual Boy Advance v1.80 - 4.0
NO$GBA v2.6 - 3.1

Dolphin SVN 3903 - Gamecube and Wii - Dolphin is an open-source Nintendo GameCube and Wii emulator for Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (Intel-based),
it is the first emulator to successfully run commercial Gamecube and Wii games.
It is currently the only emulator capable of running commercial Wii games and like most other emulators it is freeware.

Compability - 4.0 - Supports GC and Wii games but with a lot of problems (Sound) . Virtual Console and WiiWare preliminary compability =D.
Interface - 5.0 - Very attractive, game browser with banners and filters. Very easy to configurate and themes support.
Requirements - 3.4 - Doesn't have a framelimiter and the emu doesn't use all the CPU power.
Multiplayer - 3.8 - GC emu supports 4 players and gamepads. Wii emu only supports 1 wiimote (emulated or real). Slow netplay. No wifi support.
Extras - 4.2 - ISO compressing mode and preliminary compability with GBA, MIC and BBA. Action Replay and Wii menu basic support. Mem card manager
Enhancements - 5.0 - Anti aliasing supports and Hi RES Wii games (720, 1080 dpi). Hi-Res Support, texture dumper, Free Look and shaders. Nice going =D
Support - 4.7 - No faq attached to the emu but theres an active forum with full emu support. It's open source!

Final - 4.3
Any source for this or is it just your "official" review?
"Requirements - 3.4 - Doesn't have a framelimiter and the emu doesn't use all the CPU power."
double what?
EDIT:
"Support - 4.7 - No faq attached to the emu but theres an active forum with full emu support. It's open source!"
triple what?
we have a faq on the forum
bunch of fucking noobs
i only tested visual boy advance and no$gba
other ppl tested dolphin
1. Why using FCEUX when there are Nestopia and Jnes?
2. no$gba is REALLY outdated emulator
3. Project64 v1.7 can be only got by donating to Project64
4. VisualBoy Advance 1.8.0 is old too, use VBA-M
nice saying but this is based in most downloaded and used emulators.
Virtual nes is better than FCEUX.
Doesn't have a framelimiter and the emu doesn't use all the CPU power

This seems a little unfair as there is a frame limiter, it just got broken awhile back, but there's still the audio throttle to limit the speed. For me Dolphin uses up to 95% CPU, while most emulators aren't even dualcore. Wait with reviewing until the next official release.
explain me why (someone told me this) wind waker works 40~45fps in a dual core 3.2Ghz?
oh i know it doesn't use all CPU power

i asked the same thing too and i got this

gc and wii are consoles too hard for emu, specially when they are 2
(08-02-2009, 09:11 AM)ssbbtriforce Wrote: [ -> ]explain me why (someone told me this) wind waker works 40~45fps in a dual core 3.2Ghz?

Maybe whoever told you that has a shit-tastic GPU like me. Even though people say Dolphin is not a GPU intensive application, it still requires a recent mid-range GPU (like a Radeon HD 4650/70 or 4770) or a high-end GPU (like a 3850/70 or 4850/70/90). I myself, can only play the odd game or two with Dolphin. (SSBM, MKDD in Time Trial)

Anyways, you (and everyone else) should probably wait for an official release of Dolphin (which should be coming soon) before doing a review (like KHRZ said) as it is still in heavy development and lot's of serious (and strange) bugs.

Quote:Slow netplay.

Question for developers or anyone else who may have an answer. Wasn't the netplay feature being re-done to use UDP sockets instead of TCP, since TCP likes to be slow and accurate? Or did whoever was working on it stop or leave or something?

- CHR15x94
(08-02-2009, 09:11 AM)ssbbtriforce Wrote: [ -> ]explain me why (someone told me this) wind waker works 40~45fps in a dual core 3.2Ghz?

a 3.2ghz cpu should run fullspeed in dolphin unless it is a pentium d or something
Pages: 1 2 3 4