Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DSP/LLE on Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Forgive me if that is not the exact verbiage of the option in the latest as it has been a little while since I have upgraded.

My question is this. Every now and again I see some folks advise using the On Thread option while other times I see it causes freezes and crashes. Is there a list of games that On Thread does not cause an issue with or is it just best practice to avoid it unless you absolutely must have the speed boost (at the cost of freezes)?

A list like this would be awesome, but if it is helpful to know which specific games I am referring to:
Twilight Princess (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (GC)
SMG 1 & 2 (Wii)

Thanks in advance!
Usually it only causes freezes with games that utilize the Zelda Ucode and any game that doesn't use the Zelda Ucode should work alright with HLE. Resident Evil 4 doesn't need LLE since a while, basically any game that would benefit from LLE/DSP on thread utilizes the Zelda Ucode and exhibits lockups/freezes/crashes with it enabled.
Xtreme2damax Wrote:basically any game that would benefit from LLE/DSP on thread utilizes the Zelda Ucode and exhibits lockups/freezes/crashes with it enabled.

It's also worth mentioning that many people have experienced no boost in performance in Zelda ucode games with LLE on its own thread.
(10-26-2013, 12:47 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]Usually it only causes freezes with games that utilize the Zelda Ucode and any game that doesn't use the Zelda Ucode should work alright with HLE. Resident Evil 4 doesn't need LLE since a while, basically any game that would benefit from LLE/DSP on thread utilizes the Zelda Ucode and exhibits lockups/freezes/crashes with it enabled.
Thanks guys/gals!

I was under the impression that you could still use the On thread option for HLE to gain performance but it sounds like that is not the case...is this correct?
(10-26-2013, 01:28 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the impression that you could still use the On thread option for HLE to gain performance but it sounds like that is not the case...is this correct?

IIRC, there was a time with 3.5-XXX wherein you could set HLE and LLE audio to use a separate thread, but this broke the sound for so many games under HLE audio that it couldn't even be recommended most of the time. Now we're back to just having LLE audio on a separate thread.
(10-26-2013, 01:28 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the impression that you could still use the On thread option for HLE to gain performance but it sounds like that is not the case...is this correct?

Correct. Now it's for LLE only. In my experience, it doesn't improve performance for every game I have tried.
Great! Thanks All.
For what it's worth, I've gotten quite some performance when I enabled LLE on Thread back in the 3.0, 3.5 era when I was playing Tales of Symphonia. I can confirm it ran perfectly, without any issues, but with the added performance. So yes, it can increase your performance.
(10-26-2013, 01:20 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
' Wrote:basically any game that would benefit from LLE/DSP on thread utilizes the Zelda Ucode and exhibits lockups/freezes/crashes with it enabled.

It's also worth mentioning that many people have experienced no boost in performance in Zelda ucode games with LLE on its own thread.
That's not always the case. For me LLE/DSP on thread gives me a small boost (5 - 10 fps) in SMG, SMG2 and Twilight Princess with my i7 950 @ 4.2 Ghz as long as the game doesn't freeze or crash.
(10-26-2013, 03:25 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]That's not always the case. For me LLE/DSP on thread gives me a small boost (5 - 10 fps) in SMG, SMG2 and Twilight Princess with my i7 950 @ 4.2 Ghz as long as the game doesn't freeze or crash.

How often does it freeze when you enable this option?
Pages: 1 2 3