Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphical glitches OSX Intel HD 3000? OpenGL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im not sure if this is hardware or general support but since it's mainly graphical I decided hardware.

I found that for some reason I happen to experience graphical glitching when running games on the latest 4.0 stable build and higher.

But when I use 3.5 stable and some 3.5 dev versions it works without a hitch.

This happens with any game. I'm assuming it's an Intel HD 3000 and OpenGL thing but I'm looking for a concise answer as to why it happens on anything higher than 4.0/3.5 stable.

Mac osx 10.8.5
i7
4GB DDR3 RAM
Intel HD 3000

I use default settings. Nothing touched and perfectly clean.

as an example,

this is Super Mario Galaxy 2 on:

3.5-stable

[Image: PmgGrqu.jpg]

3.5-663

[Image: ryHEdQC.jpg]

4.0-stable (glitch)

[Image: X0qqzSL.jpg]
4.0-241

[Image: dkAPR8f.jpg]

Oh and another thing I'm wondering is since my cpu is i7 but my igp is intel hd3000 does that mean that in terms of speed I can't do much thanks to the GPU? and also if I were to bootcamp windows 7 would it have a more positive/negative effect considering the OpenGL and d3dx backends in relation to my GPU?

Thanks.
I´m almos sure that it only happens when activating CPU to EFB acess.
(10-18-2013, 08:20 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I´m almos sure that it only happens when activating CPU to EFB acess.
I juuust tried it with Skip EFB Access from CPU checked and rebooted with 4.0 and 4.0-421 and it's still glitched. Even worse is that it's flickering black. >.>"
Yo, 3.5-663 is the last revision before the GLSL merge, wherein the OpenGL backend was majorly overhauled. I'm almost positive that if you tried 3.5-1025 (the revision of the merge), and anything after that, you'll start seeing this glitch. This is a driver issue iirc. I'm not familiar with OS X and Dolphin's issues, but I remember hearing about how OpenGL still has some issues after the GLSL merge. I'm not positive, but you may have to wait until Mavericks comes out (and subsequently upgrade to that) to get rid of this driver issue. Pauldacheez knows more about this, perhaps he'll come into this thread later on.
(10-18-2013, 11:43 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Yo, 3.5-663 is the last revision before the GLSL merge, wherein the OpenGL backend was majorly overhauled. I'm almost positive that if you tried 3.5-1025 (the revision of the merge), and anything after that, you'll start seeing this glitch. This is a driver issue iirc. I'm not familiar with OS X and Dolphin's issues, but I remember hearing about how OpenGL still has some issues after the GLSL merge. I'm not positive, but you may have to wait until Mavericks comes out (and subsequently upgrade to that) to get rid of this driver issue. Pauldacheez knows more about this, perhaps he'll come into this thread later on.
Yeah he's mentioned that in a comment on an issue where dev versions crash on 10.7.5 and lower but I didn't know it applied with the glitching that I'm seeing too. Okay so then can you answer my other query about since my cpu is i7 but my igp is intel hd3000 would that mean that in terms of speed I can't do much thanks to the GPU? and also if I were to bootcamp windows 7 would it have a more positive/negative effect considering the OpenGL and d3dx backends in relation to my GPU? thank you so much. Smile
'Arith Wrote:my igp is intel hd3000 would that mean that in terms of speed I can't do much thanks to the GPU?

Yes, your Intel HD 3000 is not suited for playing many games at Internal Resolutions greater than 1x. Some games will be fine at 1x, or 2x IR, but you'll find that the GPU will bottleneck your performance at higher resolutions and even some games will be bottlenecked at 1x IR (GPU intensive games usually). If you can deal with 1x IR with no AA, you should be good for many games, but anything more may be hit and miss.

'Arith Wrote:also if I were to bootcamp windows 7 would it have a more positive/negative effect considering the OpenGL and d3dx backends in relation to my GPU?

OpenGL is usually on par with the D3D9 backend (which is now removed in recent revisions) in terms of speed. I don't know if the difference has been thoroughly tested on Intel IGPs (it has on Nvidia and AMD at least) but at the very least, you shouldn't get these OS X specific driver issues, regardless if you use D3D9/11 or OpenGL on Windows 7.
Sorry I'm late, but yes, this is a driver issue, specific to the HD 3000 on recent versions of OS X. It isn't fixed in Mavericks, and it also extends way past just graphical issues – on certain games it'll go so far as to crash the system UI.

Dolphin 4.0 works perfectly fine with the Linux/Windows HD 3000 drivers, and it actually ends up performing quite a bit better (?!) as well.
@Shonumi: I have borrowed a desktop that has an Intel IGP. I´ll test the hack with OpenGL and tell you later the results.
Intel IGP are heavily tested under windows. It's Mac that's having a problem.

And what hack?
(10-20-2013, 07:37 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Intel IGP are heavily tested under windows. It's Mac that's having a problem.

And what hack?
Vertex Streaming Hack.
Pages: 1 2 3