Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Format unpack question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys Smile

Currently, I analyze the operation of the emulator with the game named Xenoblade.

I do not mean to understand everything, just the reading different file formats of wii game.
For now, I see how it deals the most common formats.

Only in Xenoblade files, I found file format whitout documentation in the web or comment code (LOD, DAP for example).
Dolphin understands these formats (hopefully xD) but I find no location in the code that manages (lod and dap file decompression)

My question are :
how the emulator to understand these files without the model ? (header, data startoffset, etc)
What are these files that seem to contain the textures of the game but are not present in any other game ?
And finally, where can I find information about these file formats?

Sorry for my bad (very bad english :x), I have some small problems to speak English... very little... xD
And Thanks Wink !!
You can't usually open Files on console games as they usually have encrypted or unknown headers
Thanks for your response Wink.
And so, ok, in that case it's a header unknown because I succeeded to extract one or more files. But for dolphin, how do it for get the data in this file ? lod contains brres... so the texture. The game contains a internal code for read this files ?
Yeah, the game contains the instructions of how to deal with its files. I'd imagine that some of the code also exists in many of the Wii's IOS files for common formats, but these won't run on x86, and aren't human readable, so if they do contain the information you seek, then you won't be able to use them for anything.
Arghh it's pity xD. But I understand why I could not find anything. I could always search xD.

Thanks for the responses Wink.
I go back in study of wii emulation Smile
it is possible with some Gamecube games to change/edit textures e.g. I tried with Sonic Adventure DX , by swapping them with the Dreamcast Version and worked .

--Sonic Adventure DX (with Original Textures)
[Image: 2pzfdab.jpg]
Okay, okay.
In fact, my goal was to create a set of python script to help to create patch for isos.
But if the formats of 3D models textures are unreadable ... it will be complicated xD.

I know that dolphin can load textures. But the naming system and the fact that we are not all the textures without completing the game 100% makes the process complicated patch and not optimized.
Finally, it does not matter. It's pity xD
There was talk of implementing mesh dumping and loading as an option. It hasn't happened yet.