Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame skip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

Is there a way to do frame skip for gamecube games?

Thanks in advance,
Rgds,
In Emulation menu you'll find Frame Skipping
Dolphin already has a Frameskipping function, but it doesn't work like the frameskipping in 2D emulators (this is due to how the GC hardware is setup, specifically how it processes graphical commands).

It won't help to speed up a game unless you're using a severely underpowered GPU (usually outdated IGPs) that's bottlenecking Dolphin.
Hi,

I put it to nime frames, but you are right, i seems that it doesn't help on gamecube games.

Rgds,
Setting Frameskip to 9 is way helpless than the other skipping options...
Hi,

Other skipping options ?

Rgds,
I mean that setting the skip to 9 is way helpless than setting it to a number under 3, for example.
Hi,

Ok, will set it to 2.

Thanks,
Rgds,
Okay, as someone who has to use Netplay under single core; most games are GPU thread limited. Turning on Frameskip, even in dualcore, can moderately boost the speed of games because it lightens the load on the (bottlenecked) GPU thread of Dolphin. That means less work for the CPU, and the game runs faster. Very few games are bottlenecked by the CPU thread.

Basically: Frameskipping would usually increase performance regardless of graphics card.
JMC47 Wrote:Very few games are bottlenecked by the CPU thread.

That conclusion seems a bit odd to me. When you have netplay on single core mode, you're forcing emulation of the GC/Wii's CPU + GPU onto the same thread, which can be very demanding on any hardware depending on the game. Both emulated components are tying up the system. Any decrease in one load (the emulated CPU or GPU) is going to result in an overall speedup in the emulator, and frameskipping lightens the load on the emulated GPU (allowing more time to process the emulated CPU). But that doesn't mean the emulated CPU stops becoming a bottleneck, i.e. it might have more time thanks to the lessened GPU load, but not necessarily enough time. When they're running on two seperate threads, we see a lot of people getting bottlenecked by weak CPUs.
Pages: 1 2 3