Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Directx9 and Multicore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi,

I don't see anymore the directx9 rendering framework in the latest release.
I know you must have good reasons for that but i'm on xp, and the opengl framework is 30% slower
I cannot achieve constant full frame rate on a i7-3770k with gamecube game ?
Is there a way to put back the directx framework ?
Is there a way to have opengl working as faster as the directx framework ?

Also, i've noticed that the cpu load is about 25 % on two core (audio rendering on dedcated thread, as the opem mp for the video rendering)
Why all the core aren't used ?
Do you plan to switch dolphin to full quad core support ?

Thanks in advance,
Thanks for the very good job providing us gamecube and wii emulation,
Rgds,
(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]i'm on xp, and the opengl framework is 30% slower

Devs have stopped supporting XP recently Tongue .

(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot achieve constant full frame rate on a i7-3770k with gamecube game ?

Which game(s)? Are you at stock clock?

(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to put back the directx framework ?

You'll have to use an older build.

(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to have opengl working as faster as the directx framework ?

OpenGL isn't that slow.

(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]Why all the core aren't used ?

Dolphin uses only 2 + 1 cores.

(10-12-2013, 11:59 PM)anonyme-x22 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you plan to switch dolphin to full quad core support ?

No
Hi,

The game is batten kaitos eternal wings ...
CPU load is 25%, but i have 2 core at 100% of 8.
Also it is normal that the core used are 5-6-7 and not 1-2-3 ?
So i will use opengl and hope it isn't as slow, as i think Smile

rgds,
anonyme-x22 Wrote:Is there a way to have opengl working as faster as the directx framework ?

Nvidia hardware usually sees a boost in performance when using the Vertex Streaming hack, but not so for other hardware. OpenGL is usually faster than the DX9 or DX11 backends on Nvidia, and even more so with the hack. This is probably due to how they code their drivers to handle implementing the OpenGL API. If you want AMD to get better performance under OpenGL, you should complain to them about. In all seriousness, their OpenGL performance has always been weak from what I hear, so they could use customer feedback in this area (whether they listen to anyone or not is a different issue, however).

anonyme-x22 Wrote:CPU load is 25%, but i have 2 core at 100% of 8.

This is normal. An i7 will show you 8 "cores" in Windows Task Manager, but Dolphin is only able to take the most advantage from 2 of them (3 if you use LLE Audio and use DSPLLE on Seperate Thread, though some games see no speedup from this). 2 cores running fullblast is 25%, so it makes sense given Dolphin's dual-core nature.

About multicore support, there are very technical reasons why this cannot be done to achieve significant speedups (it can be done, it's just that it would not really boost Dolphin's performance). See the FAQ for this information and Google/Forum search this topic, as it's been brought up many times before: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#couldn...-go-faster
OpenGL won´t be slow as long as you check the Vertex Streaming Hack.
Hi,

Unfortunately Vertex Streaming Hack is not supported as diplayed at start (ATI5870?).
Hope the new drivers will help ati 13.4. (Shonumi) thanks for the info, didn't know that the drivers will impact performances.

Rgds,
(10-13-2013, 12:47 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL won´t be slow as long as you check the Vertex Streaming Hack.

The Vertex Streaming Hack doesn't seem to affect AMD hardware. Not from user reports or testing that's been done so far.
You should upgrade your OS if you want to use DirectX again (only DX11 is supported now)... You your system isn't that slow and can easily handle WinVista/7/8, so, why you're still on WinXP?
LordVador Wrote:Devs have stopped supporting XP recently

Since when? I must have missed something.

LordVador Wrote:OpenGL isn't that slow.

Depends on the GPU. On my GTX 260 it was much slower than d3d9, even with vertex streaming.
First, upgrade to Win7 or Win8. XP is old and not supported anymore.

Also, Disable Hyperthreading on bios. Your cpu has 4 cores, but intel shows them as 8 using Hyperthreading. This technology only gives extra performance if all 8 cores are on load, but Dolphin only uses 3.

Also, select lock cores to threads this will help too. (This feature is not available on latest version. Sorry!)
Pages: 1 2 3 4