Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggest AMD cpu please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Will a 5ghz AMD FX 9370 Work full speed with dsp lle on SUPER MARIO GALAXY?
I dont have money to buy new board and then switch to intel

It's cheaper to buy an Intel haswell cpu and motherboard than an FX 9370. So if you can afford one you can afford the other.

Cheaper faster options are available from Intel. We're just trying to give you the best advice on what hardware works best with dolphin.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:wtf Sad that i5 isnt even high end plus its like 3years ago

They release new i5 cpus every year....

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:and you saying 5gz fx 9590 which was same price as an i7 Xtreme at launch cant beat an 3ghz i5 non K edition.

In this workload yes. They're grossly overpriced in general but especially for this type of workload which the microarchtiecture is not ideal for.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Maybe if Dolphin Favored AMD cpus Amd users could live in peace>_<

It's not dolphins fault that AMDs engineers made the design decisions they made.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:So my question is unasked so basically the FX 9590 Instructions per cycle is worse for dolphin compared to my Phenom II x4 960T @ 4.3ghz?

IPC is very very close. Slightly lower. But by so little that its basically negligible. The FX 9590 would be faster for dolphin but only by about 10-15% at stock. Which equates to about an extra 5 fps. And since the TDP is already 220watts out of the box there is almost no room for further overclocking.

Xalphenos Wrote:I don't really follow AMD anymore has the 9000 series made any significant improvements in single core performance?

They are literally the exact same chips as the 8000 series. Just overclocked higher and sold at a higher price without a stock cooler (since AMD stock coolers aren't good enough to handle the massive amount of heat these things generate at stock).

DatKid20 Wrote:Haswell-E is mostly for people who want bragging rights. There's no other reason to get it. If you just wanted a 8 core cpu you could go for a server cpu. Intel's new Server cpu's will most likely support Quad-Channel DDR4.

For the most part I agree. But if you want top of line performance for workstation applications without buying even more expensive server hardware the E series is still a viable option.
Pages: 1 2 3