Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggest AMD cpu please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Will a 5ghz AMD FX 9370 Work full speed with dsp lle on SUPER MARIO GALAXY?
I dont have money to buy new board and then switch to intel Sad
(10-10-2013, 12:02 PM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2013, 11:41 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2013, 11:24 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2013, 11:05 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]Single threaded performance is most important to Dolphin but the FX-9000 is not much faster, just ditch
AMD CPUs and go for Intel.... My PC is my last AMD Build, My next build will be Haswell-E.
Haswell-E? Skylake will destroy it just like Haswell destroys Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E
Haswell-E will be the first 8-Core Intel Desktop CPUs which will also support Quad-Channel DDR4
I'm really not getting your point. You might as well wait for Skylake as it will support DDR4 as well. As for me I want to test out Kaveri and see how good it really is. Haswell-E is mostly for people who want bragging rights. There's no other reason to get it. If you just wanted a 8 core cpu you could go for a server cpu. Intel's new Server cpu's will most likely support Quad-Channel DDR4.
In all fairness this is a bit narrow minded. It's entirely possible Gir uses programs that will take advantage of the additional cores such as video editing or transcoding. Now if Gir is just going to play video games than I would agree that it was a waste. If I had the money to upgrade to haswell-e I would sure tax the hell out of those 8 cores.

(10-10-2013, 12:46 PM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Will a 5ghz AMD FX 9370 Work full speed with dsp lle on SUPER MARIO GALAXY?
I dont have money to buy new board and then switch to intel Sad
looking at that benchmark Gir posted a 4.7 ghz 9590 performs on par with a 3.1 ghz i5 2400. If you overclocked the 9370 to 5ghz it would probably be about on par with a stock i5 2500. So not fast enough to maintain full speed on smg with LLE not on dedicated thread. Which as previously stated LLE on dedicated thread causes crashes on SMG 1.
Unbelievable a 5ghz cpu on par with 3.0ghz, wtf Sad that i5 isnt even high end plus its like 3years ago and you saying 5gz fx 9590 which was same price as an i7 Xtreme at launch cant beat an 3ghz i5 non K edition.

Maybe if Dolphin Favored AMD cpus Amd users could live in peace>_<
(10-10-2013, 01:37 PM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelievable a 5ghz cpu on par with 3.0ghz, wtf Sad
No a 2500 is 3.3 ghz though through turbo usually a 3.4ghz but can go up to 3.7. And yeah AMD single threaded performance sucks. And that is what matters to Dolphin. The graph Gir posted is single threaded performance.

Also gigahertz, hertz really, is not a measurement of performance, at least not a good one.
Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Maybe if Dolphin Favored AMD cpus Amd users could live in peace>_<

Maybe if AMD CPUs actually performed well in the workloads Dolphin uses, AMD users could live in peace. :p Again, Dolphin relies on single-threaded performance, where AMD CPUs are not particularly strong (in relation to the competition from Intel CPUs).
So technically The AMD FX 9590 sucks compared to my current PHENOM II 960T 4.3GHZ?? IN single threaded? or dolphin period...
(10-10-2013, 01:37 PM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelievable a 5ghz cpu on par with 3.0ghz, wtf Sad that i5 isnt even high end plus its like 3years ago and you saying 5gz fx 9590 which was same price as an i7 Xtreme at launch cant beat an 3ghz i5 non K edition.

Maybe if Dolphin Favored AMD cpus Amd users could live in peace>_<
The i5 is high end, well, for consumers. And yeah, that's exactly what we're saying. AMD's single threaded performance is horrible. It isn't that Dolphin is trying to favor intel cpu's. The developers can't help it if AMD doesn't make as good of an architecture as intel does. I understand you don't have the money to buy a new rig yet but if you want the best performance in Dolphin you'll have to settle with an intel rig.

Quote: I'm really not getting your point. You might as well wait for Skylake as it will support DDR4 as well. As for me I want to test out Kaveri and see how good it really is. Haswell-E is mostly for people who want bragging rights. There's no other reason to get it. If you just wanted a 8 core cpu you could go for a server cpu. Intel's new Server cpu's will most likely support Quad-Channel DDR4.
Maybe he doesn't want to wait.

EDIT:
NINJA'D
The fx 9590 is better than the phenom.
So my question is unasked so basically the FX 9590 Instructions per cycle is worse for dolphin compared to my Phenom II x4 960T @ 4.3ghz?

SO am getting 50fps with my cpu which is 960T if i Get FX9590 How much fps will increase am talking about mario galaxy useing DSP LLE. no dsp lle on thread trough its slow. and i see no difference for my current cpu. with dsp lle.
I would bet they are pretty close as far as dolphin is concerned. I don't really follow AMD anymore has the 9000 series made any significant improvements in single core performance? you need to find a single threaded benchmark comparing an overclocked Phenom ii to a 9 series to know for sure.
(10-10-2013, 01:37 PM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if Dolphin Favored AMD cpus Amd users could live in peace>_<

Maybe you consider NOT buying a CPU for it's name?

It's not like we're talking about political parties here...
Pages: 1 2 3