Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4670k vs 3570k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am building a new rig for Dolphin. Originally, I was planning on buying the new 4670k as it is around 16% faster than Ivy Bridge to my knowledge; however, I am in a position to acquire the 3570k+z77 for $60 less than the 4670k+z87 combo. I understand that the 4670k is faster than the 3570k but my question is that since they're both so fast, would it make a difference? I am looking to play Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1&2, and the Metroid series at fullspeed. Would an overclocked 3570k get me the desired results or would I have to step up to Haswell? Thanks in advanced.
I'd recommend the 4670K since it runs about 22% faster than a 3570K (both at 4.5GHz) according to the Wind Waker benchmark. So yes, it definitely makes a difference.
Though getting a 3570K combo for $60 less is indeed a tough choice.

Both CPUs will run Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 fine. You might get some slowdowns in Twilight Princess in (late game) Hyrule Field with a 3570K though (even if overclocked).
I have my 3570K running at 4.6 OC on air and dolphin 4.0 is still running skyward and SMG very well. Some games I can use LLE sound and still get smooth play, I think this would be the only reason where I'd want the 4670K. If your ok with HLE sound on the realty high end games, 3570k is a great choice.
(10-05-2013, 12:10 AM)ulao Wrote: [ -> ]If your ok with HLE sound on the realty high end games, 3570k is a great choice.
Is there a big difference between HLE and LLE? I'm not really an audiophile, so as long as they sound similiar to the original I'll be fine.
HLE has really improved lately. I think ( dont quote me ) it is being redone. I read somewhere in the dev forums that its going to be greatly improved to the point we will not need LLE. IMO LLE is always the best choice but if it works? The things I noticed were audio drifting, echoing, and repeating. I dont see this as much anymore. I'm sure a dev can explain it better but this is how I see the current state of HLE.
(10-05-2013, 12:48 AM)ulao Wrote: [ -> ]HLE has really improved lately. I think ( dont quote me ) it is being redone. I read somewhere in the dev forums that its going to be greatly improved to the point we will not need LLE. IMO LLE is always the best choice but if it works? The things I noticed were audio drifting, echoing, and repeating. I dont see this as much anymore. I'm sure a dev can explain it better but this is how I see the current state of HLE.
Thanks for the info man. I'm really torn between the 4670k and the 3570k. I really want the best performance but I can't just shrugg off that $60 i'll be saving..Regardless, this is an internal problem and you helped me all you could. I appreciate it.
You can't run certain games in HLE (such as LoZ: TP) without nasty glitches and some issues that could halt progress. Zelda ucode is often used to trigger events within the game and vice-versa, so LLE is the only option for TP. If you can't get full speed with LLE, then your audio lags, making things worse.
(10-04-2013, 11:58 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]I'd recommend the 4670K since it runs about 22% faster than a 3570K (both at 4.5GHz) according to the Wind Waker benchmark.

It's only faster for Wind Waker or for other games as well?
(10-05-2013, 04:06 AM)xemnas Wrote: [ -> ]It's only faster for Wind Waker or for other games as well?
huh? If your are serious the answer is no. A CPU does not discriminate per game. A CPU upgrade is going to benefit everything. Also WW does not need that fast of a chip, at least it did not on dolpinh 2.5.
According to other benchmarks, 4670K is only a little bit faster than 3570K. For example: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06...u-review/5

If it is about 22% faster for every game on Dolphin, it's great.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5