Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Transmitting wireless network @ 250ft.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible without mounting seriously equipment to the roof? WAP would be inside the house and the receiving computer could have a usb wireless adapter. There is no line of sight and a few trees and general obstacles in the way. Plus there's also an elevation of maybe 10ft.
Unlikely that would would be able to get a decent signal even with a high end router and usb adapter. You would likely need a decent sized external antennae and amp.
I wonder if I could sneak down a 250ft long network cable. :p
Underground steel pipe + ethernet cables + repeaters or somethin', bro.
Depends where you live. If you happen to live in Florida where the ground is solid limestone after 4 inches that's not exactly practical. I recently had to lay 10 feet of underground pipe to carry electricity to a weatherproof GFCI/Nema receptacle box and it was a nightmare that took me a solid week. Never again. From now on I do all my cabling above ground.
I live in a mobile home community. I do not own any land. Haha. Mother in law is moving into a trailer of her own out of ours. Would save a few pennies if we should share the net but it's looking unlikely.
Buy another router and put it in a neighbor's house that happens to be halfway in-between to serve as a repeater?

Qaazavaca Qaanic

How difficult would it be to get a few-mile wifi network by funneling the library Internet to an overhead balloon which relays the signal with a focused antenna to a balloon or pole near my house which receives the signal (cantenna? parabola?) and connects to wired internet? I could hide a ethernet hub near one of the internet stations (time-limited, windows server thin clients, 45 mins per library card with free passes) and attach a transmitter, then fly a balloon over the library and use magic to aim the antennas. Or is it easier to just bike to the library?
Nah, if you were writing each packet onto a piece of paper and running it down to the library on a bike you ping and download/upload speeds would be ridiculously poor. You could try engraving eack packet's data onto bullets, and shooting them at the library and back to your house with a minigun, though. That would be much faster, especially if you automated the 'finding the bullets' and 'reading what's engraved into the side of the bullets' processes.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Is that a joke? Making fun of my complete lack of knowledge about directional WiFi? Is it possible or are you sarcastically saying no?
What I mean is:

Wifi transmitter (in library) ->
Wifi receiver (on balloon), directional wifi transmitter ->
Directional WiFi receiver (on balloon/pole) to local network
Pages: 1 2