Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow Framerate with i7 and Nvidia Graphics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, I thought I would give dolphin a try again after 4 came out hopefully that it would run better on my computer this time. Unforunately im only hitting about 30 fps on Super Smash Bros Brawl. Im not sure if this it average but it not really that playable.

My specs for my HP DV6 Laptop are:

Intel i7 @ 2.3ghz
Nvidia GEFORCE GT 630m with 2gb
8gb of ram

Im fairly sure I am using the graphics card for the emulator but im not certain. Is there a way I can check while dolphin is running?

Also is 30fps topping out on thee specs or should I be receiving better?

Thanks in advance.
Why 2 threads?
EvanN Wrote:Intel i7 @ 2.3ghz

This tells us nothing really. Which model is the i7? For example, the model of my i5 is a 2500K. Additionally, run CPU-Z while running Dolphin for a bit and take a screenshot. This will show us your exact clock rate while gaming; it may be the case that you're not Turbo Boosting.

Follow this Laptop Performance Guide to make sure it's using the Nvidia GPU: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-la...ance-guide
(10-02-2013, 01:04 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]This tells us nothing really. Which model is the i7? For example, the model of my i5 is a 2500K. Additionally, run CPU-Z while running Dolphin for a bit and take a screenshot. This will show us your exact clock rate while gaming; it may be the case that you're not Turbo Boosting.

Follow this Laptop Performance Guide to make sure it's using the Nvidia GPU: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-la...ance-guide
Hey thanks for the help.

I checked the link you sent me and It looks like I am using my GPU.
I have attached a screenshot of CPU-Z while playing

As for turboboost, how do I check if that is enabled?
There is "Thottlestop" in my guide - CPU performance . How could you miss that Big Grin ?
You just have to learn how to control your CPU clockspeed manually . In the attactment , your CPU is running at 1197MHz ~ 1.2GHz about the same speed as a smartphone CPU lol .
You have to bump it up to 3.0GHz or higher . Don't ask me how . Read the guide carefully
I have (almost) the same laptop. You got overheat issues, change your thermal compound and you're good to go. Please note also that you should be using AC power while playing (HP BIOS won't let this CPU go beyond 2.8 GHz when running on battery (even setting manually with Throttlestop). The GT630M isn't too fast, so, 2x IR is the maximum it can handle, at least with SSBB. For speeds, I get around 50-60 FPS everywhere (even in 4P multiplayer)...
(10-02-2013, 02:47 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]I have (almost) the same laptop. You got overheat issues, change your thermal compound and you're good to go. Please note also that you should be using AC power while playing (HP BIOS won't let this CPU go beyond 2.8 GHz when running on battery (even setting manually with Throttlestop). The GT630M isn't too fast, so, 2x IR is the maximum it can handle, at least with SSBB. For speeds, I get around 50-60 FPS everywhere (even in 4P multiplayer)...
I completely missed the part about throttlestop in the above guide , I apologize.

Even after adjusting the settings, I still can not get the CPU any higher.

Also , thanks for your tips Jhonn , I was planing to change the thermal compound , but now I guess I should do it sooner than later.
I have the laptop connected to a powersuppy, but it is lower wattage than the power supply that came with the laptop. Will that effect performance?
Check your CPU temps with CoreTemp while emulating a game just to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it is overheating and throttling down like Jhonn suggests.
(10-02-2013, 03:39 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]Check your CPU temps with CoreTemp while emulating a game just to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it is overheating and throttling down like Jhonn suggests.
So I am guessing by those numbers in the screenshot that it is a heating issues. My fans haven't been that loud though as usual though, could that be part of the problem?

Also , when I set ThrottleStop to 15 as the multiplier, it wont go over 12. I can change it to 11 or anything below, but notihng over twelve.
That actually isn't too bad in terms of temps, but your clock speed is still in the tank. I think your issue is related to not having AC power attached or Windows power settings (change your power profile to max performance). Please re post after those changes.
Pages: 1 2