Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: EFB to RAM - What Kind of Processor Would I Need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BorderCollieLover36

I'm planning on doing playthroughs of Wii and GameCube games using Dolphin, the thing is I want to record the full experience of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. In order to do that I need for EFB to be set to RAM for the coins to spin. The problem is that the game runs incredible slow, and I need it to be set up so I can have the full game experience that I would experience on the Wii (except for the HD quality of course,) in real time, 100% speed, with no lag. I have another problem. To test how well my screen recorder would work, I just played the games without EFB set to RAM so it would go faster since it was only a test. The problem I have with this is that when I'm recording the game, the game plays as fast as it would with EFB set to RAM without screen recording on. So I need a speedier computer. I don't know a whole lot about procoessor and motherboards and things like that, so what kind of processor would I need? I know a lot of people say that an Intel i5 processor would be good enough for gaming, but in this forum here; https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/archive/i...23161.html it is said that "No CPU can handle both LLE and EFB copy to Ram full speed afaik Not even i5 2500k @ 5.0Ghz." However, in this the term LLE was mentioned, and I don't know what that is, so whether this would apply to me, I don't know. If this quote does apply to me, would I then need an Intel i7 core processor? Remember, I want EFB to RAM while recording it using an application, and I want it all to play at 100% speed. Thanks in advance!
3 things

1) The 2500k is 3 genarations old, newer ones are faster
2) You won't need LLE so it should be fast enough
3) i7 isn't faster then i5 for dolphin
(09-30-2013, 02:39 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]3 things

It's 2 generations old, and the newer ones aren't much faster, though if the OP is getting a new processor, it would be wise to go Haswell.

And an i7 has a higher IPC than an i5 of the same generation, so yes, it is faster than an i5 for Dolphin, technically speaking. Is it worth the extra cost? That's up to the consumer to decide.
Best choices: 4670K/3570K (and 4770K/3770K if you absolutely want an i7 Tongue )
.Hog Wrote:It's 2 generations old, and the newer ones aren't much faster, though if the OP is getting a new processor, it would be wise to go Haswell.

Haswell is actually significantly faster for Dolphin than Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. Most other applications don't see an incredible boost in performance, but Dolphin manages to be an exception. Between Ivy Bridge and Haswell, it was easily around 15~18% iirc. The results are there in the Hardware forum in the Wind Waker Benchmark thread. Haswell handily beats out everything else from Intel or AMD.
(09-30-2013, 02:59 AM).Hog Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2013, 02:39 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]3 things

It's 2 generations old, and the newer ones aren't much faster, though if the OP is getting a new processor, it would be wise to go Haswell.

And an i7 has a higher IPC than an i5 of the same generation, so yes, it is faster than an i5 for Dolphin, technically speaking. Is it worth the extra cost? That's up to the consumer to decide.
The difference in Dolphin is around 1% or less. The OP would do better getting the i5 and a beefier cooler to overclock it an extra few MHz.