Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: EFB to RAM or DSP LLE?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello,

So, my PC is as you see in my signature. I've OC'd it as far as I can on stock coolers and have reached the highest speed I can in Dolphin without upgrading or buying aftermarket coolers.

I have come to a point where I can have perfect emulation on all my games with either EFB to RAM enabled, or DSP LLE, but not both at the same time.

Which do you think is more important in the grander scheme of things? The trouble I have is that I have both Super Mario Galaxy (I like my games to have proper sound) and Wii Sports Resort (I like my Miis to have faces)!

Secondly, is EFB to RAM dependent on my PC's CPU or GPU speed? I suspect it's CPU but as it's in the graphics options I thought I'd better check.
No CPU can handle both LLE and EFB copy to Ram full speed afaik
Not even i5 2500k @ 5.0Ghz
EFB to RAM is dependent from the speed of your CPU and RAM (thx Squall for this hint Big Grin). Example: DDR3-1333 achieves less FPS with EFB to RAM as DDR3-2000.

Most games don't need EFB to RAM, check EFB Copies to Texture and you're fine. But some games need this option though.
(05-05-2012, 12:43 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]No CPU can handle both LLE and EFB copy to Ram full speed afaik
Not even i5 2500k @ 5.0Ghz

I agree.
So your consensus is that DSP LLE is usually more important than EFB to RAM? Is there a way to set this on a per game basis?
(05-05-2012, 12:46 AM)Tomkun Wrote: [ -> ]So your consensus is that DSP LLE is usually more important than EFB to RAM? Is there a way to set this on a per game basis?

DSP LLE is only necessary, if HLE not works/cause bad music (but sometimes DSP LLE is required for some gameplay related features)
EFB Copies to RAM is only necessary for gameplay related features (like visors in Metroid Prime) or some graphical effects (spinning coins in NSMBWii) - Depends on the game
DefenderX, boy you are quick. You may be my favourite person right now!
Like I said though, can I set this per game if it is so dependent?
Use Texture and just switch from Texture to RAM when necessary. RAM is usually needed for specific details in a game and not for a whole game
(05-05-2012, 12:51 AM)Tomkun Wrote: [ -> ]DefenderX, boy you are quick. You may be my favourite person right now!

haha, great Big Grin

Quote:Like I said though, can I set this per game if it is so dependent?

(05-05-2012, 12:51 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Use Texture and just switch from Texture to RAM when necessary. RAM is usually needed for specific details in a game and not for a whole game

^ This

I can see that might be the best way in general, but for example Wii Sports Resort works perfectly well with DSP HLE, but really needs EFB to RAM to see the Mii's faces. Can I set that per game, or do I need to go into the settings each time? Most games are the opposite.

Should I make a feature request for this or is it too pedantic?
Just do this, which LordVador suggested. You always have to go in the settingsWink (Yeah, maybe a little bit annoying...)

Quote:Use Texture and just switch from Texture to RAM when necessary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4