Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: system requirements for using dolphin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

reallypissedoff

Many people are stating different requirements for the dolphin emulator. Some even say a p4 will do. I mainly want to play metroid prime, resident evil and resident evil 4. Whether or not my coomputer is capable or not, I'm not sure, so I'll post my computer specs here:

Pentium D 3ghz (2 mb L2 cache)
Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

How will my computer fair with dolphin?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Darian
(07-31-2009, 05:47 AM)reallypissedoff Wrote: [ -> ]Many people are stating different requirements for the dolphin emulator. Some even say a p4 will do. I mainly want to play metroid prime, resident evil and resident evil 4. Whether or not my coomputer is capable or not, I'm not sure, so I'll post my computer specs here:

Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

thanks in advance!
Darian

Very slowly, might as well take a bunch of screenshots and run it in powerpoint and call it slideshow the game... but yeah it wont work well... pentium ds are slowpokes and its not dual core so i would say UNPLAYABLE... wii/gc will be much easier and MUCH faster for you... dont bother with dolphin Wink
If you could possibly upgrade your CPU, dolphin maybe playable for you.
(07-31-2009, 05:47 AM)reallypissedoff Wrote: [ -> ]Many people are stating different requirements for the dolphin emulator. Some even say a p4 will do. I mainly want to play metroid prime, resident evil and resident evil 4. Whether or not my coomputer is capable or not, I'm not sure, so I'll post my computer specs here:

Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

thanks in advance!
Darian

My old P4 at 2.53 ghz ran SSBM at 5 fps in game.

You would have to overclock it to like 7 ghz to get decent speeds on it...
(07-31-2009, 06:38 AM)Dartht33bagger Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

thanks in advance!
Darian

You would have to overclock it to like [color=#FF0000] 7 ghz [/color] to get decent speeds on it...

How is that even physically possible?
(07-31-2009, 07:11 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

thanks in advance!
Darian

You would have to overclock it to like [color=#FF0000] 7 ghz [/color] to get decent speeds on it...

he never said he should he just said you would have to

reallypissedoff

Alrite. Sounds like the consensus is that with my cruddy junk computer, I won't be able to use dolphin =( . Oh well. At least I know. Thanks for the help guys.
(07-31-2009, 07:19 AM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2009, 07:11 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel D102GGC2 mobo
nvidia 8400gs 256mb ram
2gb 667 ddr2 ram

thanks in advance!
Darian

he never said he should he just said you would have to

Ah, so he was being sarcastic Just to get his point across.
Sarcasm is hard to catch, especially if you're reading it rather than hearing it.

Sprinx

Just to confirm, I tried playing GC Zelda: Twilight Princess on my Pentium D 915 setup, and it was slow as crap. I got 30-40 fps during the startup (Nintendo logo, healthy & safety warning), but once it go to the intro of the actual game, it dropped to 4-12 fps (one time as low as 0.25 fps Sad ). Even when I entered the menu (select saved game, etc.) it was still that sluggish. I tried the same game on my Q6600 setup (w/ a 9800 GTX+), and it ran like a dream.

System specs:
Pentium D 915 2.8 GHz
NVidia 7800 GTX
4 GB Kingston VR (2 x 2GB) 800 MHz
ASRock P45TS-R MB
Win 7 RC 1 x64

I can play N64 emulation all day long, and I can even play COD World at War on this system with medium settings (CPU stuck at 95%, but it's playable). All of my HW is up to date except for the CPU and video card, but the bottleneck is definitely the Pentium D. I'm pretty sure the 7800 GTX can handle the graphics, but the CPU is stuck at 98% (and 60 C) while in-game. Weird how the GC processor is rated at 485 MHz.
thats the problem about emulation : you always need much more cpu power then the console you want to emulate.

ps1 for example had 33mhz and still wont run good on most 300mhz x86 cpus.

Todays cpus are very good in performance per clock (pentium 4 and d were not), so we can emulate at about 5 times higher clock.

That does sound much, but it is not at all.

if you compare with some risc cpu in mobile phones for example, you need even more power.

for example : emulating good old snes with ~3mhz is impossible with full speed on a 400mhz ARM cpu in some pocket pcs.

We should be happy of what we allready got.

The future will be much worse. Even emulating ps3 or xbox 360 will be impossible the next maybe 10 years as per core computing power does not increase by much.
Pages: 1 2