Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extreme Lag on Desktop with Windows Rating of 7.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lets start with some specs:

Mobo: MSI X58M
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.67GHz
RAM: OCZ 6 GB DDR3 Tri-Channel 1600MHz
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATAII
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti: EVGA 1GB GDDR5
Audio: Built in
Dolphin: 4.0 (also played on 3.5-267 and official 3.5)

Now that that's out of the way, let's get to the issue. I have been playing LOZ Wind Waker quite a bit. After I got a black screen early in the game, I found the wiki page and adjusted the settings accordingly. While playing with DSP LLE enabled, the game is ridiculously laggy, with the game speed dropping down to the 60-70s. When I play with DSP HLE and the No Item Hang patch enabled the game runs fine, but nearly all of the audio is missing.

I have tried changing just about every graphics setting to the fastest available, and there is really no noticeable difference.

This link leads to an album of my current settings: http://imgur.com/a/0ji0D
Your cpu is bad.
The CPU isn't up to par as RachelB said. Your CPU, however, is a good candidate for overclocking. With an OC, you should be able to play without speed issues. As it is now, it's underpowered.
(09-26-2013, 07:01 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU isn't up to par as RachelB said. Your CPU, however, is a good candidate for overclocking. With an OC, you should be able to play without speed issues. As it is now, it's underpowered.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that. I know about Moore's Law, but it was top of the line 3 years ago. Any clue what I'd need to OC it too? Luckily my Mobo has switches that will do it for me. I think I need to replace my heat sink fan and thermal gel, since my CPU seems to be running at around 70C with only a 2-3% load.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 4th gen i7, but the mobos are quite pricey.

Thanks for further explaining RachelB's post.
Check out the stickied thread with CPU hierarchy. You'll need an OC in the 3.5 GHz range to make WW play well with LLE IMHO. If you wait for a Haswell 4670K I think you can play WW with no OC. With OC on that chip you could play almost every game at fullspeed except maybe The Last Story (Wii).
Start at a 500mhz increase and go from there. If you're not happy with the performance you're getting, go higher. Of course, you could use LLE to pass certain areas and then go back to the faster HLE for other areas.
(09-26-2013, 07:10 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Start at a 500mhz increase and go from there. If you're not happy with the performance you're getting, go higher. Of course, you could use LLE to pass certain areas and then go back to the faster HLE for other areas.
Meh, I'm just going to upgrade my processor to the AMD FX-8. Thanks for the tip though.
(09-26-2013, 07:12 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:10 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Start at a 500mhz increase and go from there. If you're not happy with the performance you're getting, go higher. Of course, you could use LLE to pass certain areas and then go back to the faster HLE for other areas.
Meh, I'm just going to upgrade my processor to the AMD FX-8. Thanks for the tip though.

That will probably be a downgrade from what you already have for Dolphin.
Don't use AMD FX 8-Core.
(09-26-2013, 07:15 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:12 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]

That will probably be a downgrade from what you already have for Dolphin.
Is AMD really that inferior to Intel? I was looking at their 4GHz processor.
Pages: 1 2