Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extreme Lag on Desktop with Windows Rating of 7.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wouldn't do that actually if Dolphin is a priority. The FX-8 does not perform like the i5/i7 series in terms of single thread performance. You would probably be better off with a 1st gen i7 OC than the FX-8. See the stickied CPU hierarchy thread for guidance.
(09-26-2013, 07:16 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:15 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:12 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:10 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Start at a 500mhz increase and go from there. If you're not happy with the performance you're getting, go higher. Of course, you could use LLE to pass certain areas and then go back to the faster HLE for other areas.
Meh, I'm just going to upgrade my processor to the AMD FX-8. Thanks for the tip though.

That will probably be a downgrade from what you already have for Dolphin.
Is AMD really that inferior to Intel? I was looking at their 4GHz processor.

If you were to overclock your current processor to 3.0GHz, you'd be around the FX 8350 at 4.0GHz in terms of performance.
(09-26-2013, 07:20 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:16 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:15 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:12 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:10 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Start at a 500mhz increase and go from there. If you're not happy with the performance you're getting, go higher. Of course, you could use LLE to pass certain areas and then go back to the faster HLE for other areas.
Meh, I'm just going to upgrade my processor to the AMD FX-8. Thanks for the tip though.

That will probably be a downgrade from what you already have for Dolphin.
Is AMD really that inferior to Intel? I was looking at their 4GHz processor.

If you were to overclock your current processor to 3.0GHz, you'd be around the FX 8350 at 4.0GHz in terms of performance.
Awesome. Now I just have to buy a new heat sink rather than a new CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Thanks for the help. Do you think enabling Turbo Boost will help with Dolphin?

Edit: I don't need a new heat sink after all. I was looking at the wrong temperature setting. Idk what is running at 70C, but my cores are running between 36-44C.
(09-26-2013, 07:16 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]Is AMD really that inferior to Intel? I was looking at their 4GHz processor.

Dolphin mostly uses only 2 cores. Core i5/i7 is much better.
(09-26-2013, 07:24 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome. Now I just have to buy a new heat sink rather than a new CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Thanks for the help. Do you think enabling Turbo Boost will help with Dolphin?

No. You should disable this for a stable overclock. I wouldn't enable it before your overclock based on your statement about operating temps. Turbo Boost can cause spikes in temp and then the processor throttles cores/clock to compensate. The experience is generally poor. With better cooling it could potentially help if an overclock isn't something you want to try.
(09-26-2013, 07:27 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2013, 07:24 AM)Binsky734 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome. Now I just have to buy a new heat sink rather than a new CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Thanks for the help. Do you think enabling Turbo Boost will help with Dolphin?

No. You should disable this for a stable overclock. I wouldn't enable it before your overclock based on your statement about operating temps. Turbo Boost can cause spikes in temp and then the processor throttles cores/clock to compensate. The experience is generally poor. With better cooling it could potentially help if an overclock isn't something you want to try.
I just realized that I never disabled turbo boost on my desktop. That might be part of my issue (speed being the other major part).
Pages: 1 2