Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HLE audio patch for MK-DD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everyone knows here that the game that is in this title (Mario Kart D.D.) needs LLE audio to work properly.

The thing is that I was thinking if you guys would make a provisional HLE patch for that game until a complete fix is done.

What do you think?
I think it'd be better and easier to just fucking fix the HLE.
Running games with LLE is like trying to walk in the hell. Don´t really know WHY is still not fixed (that problem happens since 2.0! Or even older builds!).

Right now I´m running M.K-D.D. (with LLE). For some reason, it´s hitting 100% speed with a crappy framerate of 33 FPS. How it can happen? Dealing with XFB. I activate it, and VPS go high (that´s why the speed hits 100%).

But that´s not the idea. What I try to say is why so many years dealing with the code and that HLE failure is not fixed yet? There´s no sound improvement in that game even with that famous AX-HLE merge.

(ALERT: No intention of offense to the developers. If you really want Dolphin 4.0 to be a success, make that fix... at least).
(09-08-2013, 01:53 AM)oliverfrancisco Wrote: [ -> ]Running games with a weak system is like trying to walk in the hell

I fixed that for you.

Even if HLE is "fixed" in all games a decent system will still be needed. With new AX-HLE some games are still demanding, or very demanding
new-ax-hle fixed audio in games using the AX µcode, which is 99% of games – it's just that you're hitting the 1% of games that happen to use the Zelda µcode, for which there's completely separate HLE code that's still shitty.

Incomplete list of Zelda µcode games:
-GameCube BIOS
-Luigi's Mansion
-Animal Crossing (the original one; City Folk likely uses AXWii)
-Pikmin/Pikmin 2 (both GC and Wii "New Play Control!" versions)
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (also both GC and Wii versions)
-Zelda: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess (oddly, Skyward Sword uses AXWii)
-Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2
-Mario Kart: Double Dash (MKWii probably uses AX)
-Possibly a Mario Party game or two (they're probably all AX/AXWii, but I dunno for sure)
(General rule of thumb: if Nintendo's internal development teams built the whole game (e.g. it wasn't built by Retro Studios, HAL or Hudson), it usually uses the Zelda µcode.)
@LordVador: I didn´t want to mention that, anyway thanks for fixing my sentence.

@pauldacheez: You mean that the HLE code is divided in two parts? Also, why did Luigi´s Mansion is included in your list? I mean, it does have some audio leaks but they doesn´t happen very often.
oliverfranciso Wrote:@pauldacheez: You mean that the HLE code is divided in two parts? Also, why did Luigi´s Mansion is included in your list? I mean, it does have some audio leaks but they doesn´t happen very often.

While "parts" is a bit ambiguous (parts = source code files?) in the sense of emulating different microcodes (ucodes) for the DSP, Dolphin actually has a few (AX, AX Wii, GBA, CARD, the IROM, Zelda). You can have a look at them for yourself here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...E%2FUCodes

The fact that Luigi's Mansion uses the Zelda ucode doesn't necessarily mean the audio is going to be bad. The Zelda ucode actually has three different variations ("Light", DMA, and Normal). Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion use the "Light" version, and it's possible that the light version is actually pretty accurate, whereas games like SMG (DMA version) and MK-DD (Normal version) aren't yet complete. It helps that the "Light" version is in fact much simpler than the DMA or Normal versions.
But then we´ll have to wait until it´s completed? If the following idea helps, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart D.D. can be taken to that "Light" HLE version, if that doesn´t wrecks them... just a thought.Tongue
oliverfrancisco Wrote:If the following idea helps, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart D.D. can be taken to that "Light" HLE version, if that doesn´t wrecks them... just a thought.

That would probably break them, if not the gameplay, then the audio portions. Whatever ucode and whichever variation of that ucode a game uses is determined by the game's code. The game tells the DSP that it's going to have to process audio using certain ucodes. Both the CPU and DSP will be expecting certain actions to occur and others not to. Fwiw, it'd be easy enough to hack it so that MK-DD or SMG1&2 tried to use the "Light" version, but getting acceptable results is something else.
@Shonumi: And if, (I don´t know), any developer makes a quick test that consists of injecting "Light HLE" in "Normal HLE"? It will break games too? (I took a look at the link you included there. I found 6 Zelda HLE microcodes). Confused

@pauldacheez: (Forgot to tell you this before) for words like the one you used in your first reply, there´s a symbol called asterisk.Tongue
Pages: 1 2