Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: For 2+ cores, is it better to do HLE audio or LLE + Dumping DSP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering which gives better performance.
Thread title edited. If it's over 85 characters, the board throws an error and won't let people respond. No worries, it's fixed.

Anyway, HLE audio is significantly less CPU intensive than LLE audio. Although both now require users to get fullspeed in each, it's easier for most systems to reach fullspeed under HLE audio than LLE audio (HLE audio does do less work after all).

HLE audio is pretty good since the nex-ax-hle merges. I think a few games are still sticking points, like some of the Zelda ucode games (some are broken like Mario Kart: Double Dash and famously SMG1&2, others do quite alright like Animal Crossing and SMS) and a few AX ucode titles like particular Resident Evil games. Unless you experience audio related issues, you're advised to stick with HLE audio.
From my experience, HLE. I'm not sure if LLE + DSP on Separate Thread really work. But I didn't see any performance improvement on the games I tried them.
HLE is faster than LLE even if LLE runs in its own thread (in my experience). If you can reach fullspeed easily, LLE is advised. It can prevent crashes in some games, and other games sound really ugly with HLE (missing "instruments", bad volumes, etc).
@masterotaku - Missing instruments? That sounds like your referring to games like Tales of Symphonia (GC) that used sequenced music (think MIDI but better). That was fixed ages ago on HLE audio (I've been playing ToS for ages as well :p) and it was one of the reasons why delroth reworked the AX ucode HLE implementation. Missing music (a la SMG1&2) still needs LLE however.
(09-04-2013, 02:13 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]@masterotaku - Missing instruments? That sounds like your referring to games like Tales of Symphonia (GC) that used sequenced music (think MIDI but better). That was fixed ages ago on HLE audio (I've been playing ToS for ages as well :p) and it was one of the reasons why delroth reworked the AX ucode HLE implementation. Missing music (a la SMG1&2) still needs LLE however.
Yes, I was thinking about ToS. I haven't tried HLE with that game for months, at least Tongue . Since Zelda TP has the same problems as always, I didn't try with ToS.
I'm playing Tales of Symphonia with HLE. No problem.
LLE is perfect in almost all games. If your system can support it there's no reason to use HLE.
The only legitimate reason to use HLE is for the very demanding games that have no issue with HLE and that you couldn't run full-speed if you had to use LLE. I'm thinking of TLS of course and a few other ones that I could test
@LordVador - I disagree. I don't see why there would be a legitimate reason to favor HLE or LLE audio if your system can handle both and they both produce the same level of audio quality in the game you're playing. If they're both on equal footing, why should LLE be favored? I know we can say that LLE audio is more accurate, but that's a moot point if your ears can't hear the difference.

For me, I seldom use LLE audio these days, even though I can with my hardware. If it doesn't fix something or offer any other advantages, why switch from HLE audio at all? It's different if I'm playing SMG2, but for everything else, using LLE audio just wastes CPU cycles (and generates a bit more heat) to do the same as HLE audio. If HLE and LLE audio are largely the same for a particular game and a system is good enough to play either, it doesn't make any sense to claim one has no legitimate use.
Indeed, i wonder if Zelda and Mario games HLE audio will be fixed? It would be really awesome for a lot of people.
Pages: 1 2