Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Shaky audio and fps around 30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi I have 5 games in dolphin that I copied from retail disks with my Wii. The games are as follows...

Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (will be called LB2 in this post)
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7. ( LHP)
New Super Mario bros. Wii. (SMB)
Super Smash bros. Braw. (SSBB)
Golden Eye 007. (GE007)

My system specs are as follows...

Motherboard: ASUS Croshair V Formula - Z
CPU: AMD FX 8350 @ 4 GHz
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600 MHz
GPU: 2x MSI AMD Radeon HD 6970 in two-way crossfire

All drivers are up to date.

Dolphin Version: 3.5 - revision 1819

When I play SMB or SSBB I have no problems, clear audio, 60 fps ec.
But when I play either Lego game or ge007 the most I can get is 30 fps.
The audio is fine in be 007, but in real shaky in both Lego games.

My CPU load never gets over 20% and crossfire will not start with only 1 graphics card running and that card usually around 30- 60 % no mater what game I play.

I have tried direct 3D 9, direct 3D 11 and Open AL all with the same results. Also I have tried Anti Aliasing at all levels as well as texture filtering. I have tried all the audio settings also with no avail.

Please help.

Thanks in advance
Kansasboy001 Wrote:But when I play either Lego game or ge007 the most I can get is 30 fps.

Some NTSC games are only designed to run at 30 FPS max. You can confirm if Dolphin is running at fullspeed by checking the % it tells you (when not using fullscreen) during games play. If it's at 100% and you're getting 30 FPS, it's a 30 FPS games. If you're getting 50% at 30 FPS, it's a 60 FPS game but your computer is only running it at half-speed (which can cause sound issues).

Kansasboy001 Wrote:My CPU load never gets over 20% and crossfire will not start with only 1 graphics card running and that card usually around 30- 60 % no mater what game I play.

Dolphin is a primarily a dual-core application. Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't use much more than 25% of your CPU's available processing (2 cores is 1/4 of 8, so...). Additionally, Dolphin does not take advantage of more than one GPU.

Kansasboy001 Wrote:I have tried direct 3D 9, direct 3D 11 and Open AL all with the same results. Also I have tried Anti Aliasing at all levels as well as texture filtering. I have tried all the audio settings also with no avail.

The graphical backends shouldn't affect your audio's performance. The audio backends should have an effect though. When using OpenAL, try increasing the Latency to see if that helps with the audio. Additionally, when using HLE for the DSP Emulator Engine, it's best not to use DSP on Dedicated Thread, as this can often cause audio issues; make sure it's not enabled if you're using HLE. If you aren't using HLE (e.g. you're using LLE recompiler or LLE interpreter), try using HLE audio instead. HLE audio is far less demanding in terms of CPU usage.

If all else fails, try using the stable 3.5 build (that's just 3.5, not something like 3.5-1819 or 3.5-1154).
Goldeneye and the Lego games all have framerate issues on real hardware (read: an actual Wii). Dolphin doesn't account for this, though, so the games will most likely expect to run at whatever their self-imposed limits are. I'd guess that Goldeneye limits itself to 30 while the Lego games limit themselves to 60.
(08-19-2013, 01:12 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
' Wrote:But when I play either Lego game or ge007 the most I can get is 30 fps.

Some NTSC games are only designed to run at 30 FPS max. You can confirm if Dolphin is running at fullspeed by checking the % it tells you (when not using fullscreen) during games play. If it's at 100% and you're getting 30 FPS, it's a 30 FPS games. If you're getting 50% at 30 FPS, it's a 60 FPS game but your computer is only running it at half-speed (which can cause sound issues).

' Wrote:My CPU load never gets over 20% and crossfire will not start with only 1 graphics card running and that card usually around 30- 60 % no mater what game I play.

Dolphin is a primarily a dual-core application. Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't use much more than 25% of your CPU's available processing (2 cores is 1/4 of 8, so...). Additionally, Dolphin does not take advantage of more than one GPU.

' Wrote:I have tried direct 3D 9, direct 3D 11 and Open AL all with the same results. Also I have tried Anti Aliasing at all levels as well as texture filtering. I have tried all the audio settings also with no avail.

The graphical backends shouldn't affect your audio's performance. The audio backends should have an effect though. When using OpenAL, try increasing the Latency to see if that helps with the audio. Additionally, when using HLE for the DSP Emulator Engine, it's best not to use DSP on Dedicated Thread, as this can often cause audio issues; make sure it's not enabled if you're using HLE. If you aren't using HLE (e.g. you're using LLE recompiler or LLE interpreter), try using HLE audio instead. HLE audio is far less demanding in terms of CPU usage.

If all else fails, try using the stable 3.5 build (that's just 3.5, not something like 3.5-1819 or 3.5-1154).
I forgot to add, golden eye runs at 100% but the lego games take a few seconds between scenes to get there, and I cant use open al with lego games due to the fact that they don't support pro logic 2. Oviously my hardware is more than capable to do this. With the stable version the lego games run at 100% but the audio is faster then the video.
With stable 3.5 my speed is 97-100% most of the time, but can drop to 79% and shoot up to 99 in a second some times the voices in the video clips stop and you only hear the background music. the speakers sometimes start cackling after the voices stop. With Dolphin 3.0 stable my performance is almost 100 all the time, but the audio is ahead of the video.
by the way I have an Creative sound blaster X-fi titanium sound card, so the audio performance of my computer is very good.
(08-19-2013, 12:13 PM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried all the audio settings also with no avail.

What about LLE? It should work just fine
@Kansasboy001 - The games don't have to support Pro Logic II or anything like that to use OpenAL. OpenAL is a cross-platform API for audio processing. It'll work for any game you choose (as long as that game works in Dolphin of course). If you increase the latency, it will time-stretch the audio whenever you encounter slowdowns.

Additionally, most audio issues come from Dolphin's emulated DSP and aren't audio hardware related. The emulated CPU and DSP have to run in sync, so if anything slows down CPU emulation, the DSP is affected. This applies to LLE audio in all revisions and HLE and LLE audio in more recent revisions.
I believe that the problem is that the speed wont stay at 100%, my system is more than capable of handling it, so I believe that it is a problem with dolphin.
(08-20-2013, 03:57 AM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that the problem is that the speed wont stay at 100%, my system is more than capable of handling it, so I believe that it is a problem with dolphin.

A lot of people think that, but Dolphin needs a lot of single-threaded IPC for good performance. The AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz is still slower than an i5-2500K at stock clocks (3.3GHz). You can check out the CPU benchmark we've done in Dolphin: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark. It sounds like you're encountering a CPU bottleneck, meaning your CPU isn't giving Dolphin enough power to run at fullspeed.
(08-20-2013, 04:02 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2013, 03:57 AM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that the problem is that the speed wont stay at 100%, my system is more than capable of handling it, so I believe that it is a problem with dolphin.

A lot of people think that, but Dolphin needs a lot of single-threaded IPC for good performance. The AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz is still slower than an i5-2500K at stock clocks (3.3GHz). You can check out the CPU benchmark we've done in Dolphin: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark. It sounds like you're encountering a CPU bottleneck, meaning your CPU isn't giving Dolphin enough power to run at fullspeed.

ok, I can overclock, I have water cooling, so what clock speed do you recommend that I push it to?
Pages: 1 2