Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 2 years older Dolphin version (3.0) working better than the actual one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
'Sup guys, I registered on this forum just to let you know...

I tried playing Zelda : Twilight Princess and Zelda : Wind Waker with Dolphin and...hell, I really couldn't. Low fps even in small areas and the speed was around 60%, especially in Wind Waker.

I remembered playing both games on this very emulator years ago and they worked like a charm...so I pulled up my sleeves and changed the emulator's settings according to those I found on the forum and nothing, no settings, default ones and customized ones, could run the games. Then I downloaded, out of curiosity, a previous version of the emulator, (3.0) and both games worked perfectly! 100% speed and 30 fps for the whole time...with default settings.

How weird is that?

The only answer i gave myself was this : maybe the actual version of Dolphin works better with good PCs and worse with older ones...

My specs:
Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU E8200 @2.66Ghz 2.67 Ghz
HD Radeon 5570
4 gbs RAM

Thanks for you attention Smile
All the older Dolphin builds work faster than newer ones. Also, newer ones work slower since they have more accurate emulation.
(08-14-2013, 06:41 AM)oliverfrancisco Wrote: [ -> ]All the older Dolphin builds work faster than newer ones. Also, newer ones work slower since they have more accurate emulation.
They should make it clear in the download section.
Like, download this if you have a great computer or download that if your pc is old, it would help to know.
That can help, but if that happens the admins will have to create a thread in wich all PC/laptop categories are listed; and in that, add both CPU/GPU benchmarks of all the games Dolphin can emulate.
Or they could generically write " If you can't run s#*t with the latest version, try an older one, they are less heavy! " Big Grin Or something like that..
Old builds aren't supported on the forums since generally speaking any issue you have with an old version would be solved by simply using the latest version. If your computer isn't good enough to run newer builds, fine, use older builds. Having said that, you won't get any support for old stuff here.
(08-14-2013, 07:45 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Old builds aren't supported on the forums since generally speaking any issue you have with an old version would be solved by simply using the latest version. If your computer isn't good enough to run newer builds, fine, use older builds. Having said that, you won't get any support for old stuff here.
I understand that.
I was just saying that maybe mentioning (in the download section) the fact that older builds might work for underpowered machines could be useful to many.
There are a lot of people who are still running a dual core like me who would like to emulate some of their best gamecube games Smile
Overclock your CPU @ 3.6GHz , problem solve Tongue
Recommending old builds is a bad idea. We would be flooded with issue reports of issues that have already been fixed.
Fwiw, we already do get flooded with issues in older builds that have since been fixed (3.5-367), but we surely aren't looking to add to that.

At any rate, it's up to everyone to find their own "sweet spot" when it comes to which revision he or she uses. Some people can do better than 3.0 but not necessarily the latest. Others are stuck on th SVN builds. I should hope a lot of people can play 3.5-XXX revisions since a lot of good changes have been happening. It's not the Dolphin Team's job to guess which revision will run the fastest for any given user.
Pages: 1 2