Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4k Resolution Downsampling [UNOFFICIAL Tutorial]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys, you don't have a 4k Monitor like me?
wanna test how your Nvidia card really perform at real highest resolution?

Go to Nvidia Control Panel and
Create a Custom Resolution:
Horizontal pixels: 3840, Vertical lines: 2160, Refresh Rate: 60,
Timing: Manual, Active Pixels: 1920/1080, Front porch: 20/3, Sync width: 20/4,
Total pixels: 2004/1092, Polarity: Negative/Positive.

until the test worked, you need to go to Customize and make sure, that the 3840x2160 resolution is checked Smile

Super Smash Bros Brawl - Dx11 with highest AAx8 samples (Quality 32x) @4k Resolution with a GTX 780 Windforce overclocked (Gpu clock : 72+mhz, Mem clock: +400mhz)
on very highest demanding level on brawl still 92FPS
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20382387/4k-res.jpg.html

Do it on your own risk Smile
Quote:Create Custom Resolution:
via Nvidia Control Panel ?
(08-12-2013, 09:32 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Create Custom Resolution:
via Nvidia Control Panel ?
Lol i forgot that to tell, yes in Nvidia Control Panel Smile
... marked unofficial.
Another screenshot in Super mario galaxy 2 with same AA - 56fps
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20382622/4k-res2.jpg.html
Old:
Edit: Figured it out:
Hardforum Wrote:For smaller resolutions like 3360x2100@1680x1050 you might be able to just change the rendering resolution and don't have to touch anything else. But when you get the message "test failed", you probably will need to increase the value for the total horizontal pixels. This will in turn increase the pixel clock which as mentioned above should not go beyond 165MHz on most configurations. You will have to play a bit with the refresh rate and the total pixel values to get your desired result.

For example, on my display, the LG Flatron IPS235P (1920x1080) I had to increase the horizontal total pixels from originally 2200 to 2800 and lower the vertical total pixels from 1125 to 1090 for 3840x2160@54Hz to work and to stay below 165MHz.

It's for stability. Nvidia's downscaler apparently isn't very stable when the difference in input/output horizontal pixels is too high. Why the fuck inserting blank pixels into the output signal fixes this I have no idea.

Still it's clear that these guys have no idea what they're doing based on their misuse of terminology and have figured out this stuff accidentally.

For the record what you're doing is rendering a 3840 x 2160 image in game then letting the drivers downscale that to 1920 x 1080 before outputting it to the display. For some reason a lot of people who read these downscaling guides get the idea that they are actually pushing 3840 x 2160 through DVI to the monitor.

I don't recommend adjusting the DVI timings unless you have to.

You should also link to whatever downscaling guide you used. Of course they're all the same since they copy/paste off of each other so I suppose it doesn't really matter which one you link to.
(08-13-2013, 07:26 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Old:
Edit: Figured it out:
Hardforum Wrote:For smaller resolutions like 3360x2100@1680x1050 you might be able to just change the rendering resolution and don't have to touch anything else. But when you get the message "test failed", you probably will need to increase the value for the total horizontal pixels. This will in turn increase the pixel clock which as mentioned above should not go beyond 165MHz on most configurations. You will have to play a bit with the refresh rate and the total pixel values to get your desired result.

For example, on my display, the LG Flatron IPS235P (1920x1080) I had to increase the horizontal total pixels from originally 2200 to 2800 and lower the vertical total pixels from 1125 to 1090 for 3840x2160@54Hz to work and to stay below 165MHz.

It's for stability. Nvidia's downscaler apparently isn't very stable when the difference in input/output horizontal pixels is too high. Why the fuck inserting blank pixels into the output signal fixes this I have no idea.

Still it's clear that these guys have no idea what they're doing based on their misuse of terminology and have figured out this stuff accidentally.

For the record what you're doing is rendering a 3840 x 2160 image in game then letting the drivers downscale that to 1920 x 1080 before outputting it to the display. For some reason a lot of people who read these downscaling guides get the idea that they are actually pushing 3840 x 2160 through DVI to the monitor.

I don't recommend adjusting the DVI timings unless you have to.

You should also link to whatever downscaling guide you used. Of course they're all the same since they copy/paste off of each other so I suppose it doesn't really matter which one you link to.
I got those settings from my mate club4ghz which works great, btw didn't read any 4k downsampling tutorials
More detailed walkthrough: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325

It can also be done on AMD cards using a 3rd party application. Just google "AMD downscaling" for anyone who is interested in trying it.
Yeah, there's plenty of tuts on the net, so it's pointless to write another.
Just a heads-up though, the AMD DownsamplingGui application won't work with the new drivers.
The last confirmed driver it works with is 12.11. Set up your resolution on that driver, and update your drivers and it'll still work.
If you ever output 4K let me know if the 30HZ limitation is noticeable. I was half tempted to buy the 4K Seiki but that killed it.
Pages: 1 2 3