Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: IR or AA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What looks visually better? higher internal resolution with no anti aliasing? Or high anti aliasing with internal resolution set at native?
Higher IR. Ideally you would use a combination of both though.
What type of AA?
ooooohhhh man, dont get him started on AA...lol

I think we can assume the default type of AA used for Dolphin (MSAA correct?)
(08-10-2013, 02:09 PM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]I think we can assume the default type of AA used for Dolphin (MSAA correct?)

The default AA setting is no AA at all. The DX9 backend can use SSAA, the OpenGL one can use MSAA or SSAA, and the DX11 backend can MSAA. Of course, whatever your GPU drivers can force or whatever you can inject will give you more options. But talking about a "default AA" doesn't quite make sense.
RachelB is correct but I would like to expound upon that a little more. IR improves image quality more than AA up until it reaches your screen resolution. Once the IR passes your screen resolution AA has more of an effect on image quality than further increase to IR do.
So up until my screen res I should use IR, right? Because I always had my AA at 9x SSAA with native resolution thinking it would be the same as higher IR with no AA
Ok since you didn't directly answer my question I must assume that you're only talking about SSAA in your comparison.

Have you tried MSAA at all?

linker357 Wrote:So up until my screen res I should use IR, right? Because I always had my AA at 9x SSAA with native resolution thinking it would be the same as higher IR with no AA

No.

Also there is an easy way for you to figure out what will be the most visually pleasing to you. Do some screenshot comparisons.

Personally I use auto (window size) for the IR and 4xSSAA in d3d9. 8xMSAA in d3d11.
For Direct3D11, what is the difference between 2/4/8 samples and 2/4/8 samples quality level 1-16?

Is 8 samples quality level 1 better than 8 samples?
The hell you talking about xemnas?

There's anti-aliasing with 2, 4 and 8 samples and anisotropic filtering. They're different things.
D3D11 uses MSAA, so set it as high as you can without dropping in frames. AF can be set to 16 always since it doesn't affect performance.
Pages: 1 2 3