Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU worries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 3.20 GHz 3.60 OC'd (System Automatic, mine doesn't have a "K")
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780
RAM: 8gb Unsure which type

Just had a custom built desktop. I'm looking to run SS, SMG 1 and 2 at 3-4x IR with 9xSSAA. I know it's not neccessary, but I'd like to. These are my worrying Wii games. WInd Waker and Twilight Princess as well. Same setting pretty much.

I hope I put the right details. I'm new here, and I'm trying to do right by ya'll, by including the info, and what I'm looking at doing. Details regarding what I can do with this and what I can't do with this would be nice.

Thank you Dolphin Community!!

Also, I've done research on the GPU before coming here. I should be fine on AA and IR with that right? Or would that depend on CPU as well? I'm unsure if my CPU can bottleneck that kind of card. The CPU is what I'm unsure of. Some guys have 4.20 GHz with higher OC, so that is why I'm worried.
9xSSAA with 3x/4x IR is pretty much out of the question no matter how fast your card is.
Well, would that CPU be good for those games? Or should I expect heavy lag?

Any suggestions if I DO need to upgrade? I'm not against spending a couple hundred more dollars for a better CPU, I just want to be "safe", not spend too much for "I won't need this".
You wouldn't have heavy lag, but it wouldn't be fullspeed on some really demanding games with lle audio. You might as well get an i5 3570k or an i5 4670k. Make sure your mobo with them supports their socket type and overclocking.
How much of a difference does LLE audio make on performance?

And is it negligible? Or should I use it?

I can do without fullspeed if it isn't too noticeable. As in, a drop of 10 or more FPS I guess, would be something I'm not okay with. As long as it's nothing detrimental as far as speed goes, I'm okay with a small decrease in speed. I'm looking at recording lp's as well, so I guess I should probably deduct a few FPS for that if I use Camstudio/tasia/Fraps/etc, huh?

I don't think overclocking is supported on my mobo. Kind of off-topic I think, but would GHz make a difference in speed? As in, a 4.2 i5 vs a 3.9 i5. Because the i5 2500k is one of the suggested model CPUs, and I was told mine was an upgrade of that model, but without the OC. So I didn't really know what range to look at when I picked my CPU out, and the tech guy said it should do the trick.

I got the GPU down. I know I do. It's the third in line from Nvidia, falling behind the 690 and the Titan. I'm just probably overly worried about the CPU. Also, I mistitled my GPU. It's a 780. I'll go change that.
Quote: It's the third in line from Nvidia, falling behind the 690 and the Titan.
Dolphin doesn't support SLI , Crossfire , Dual GPU . GTX 690 is a dual GPU (2x 680 slap together) . Therefore , it's slower than Titan and GTX 780 in Dolphin
i5 3470 can OC to 4.0GHz max if you pair it with Z77 mobo (H61 , H77 , B75 are out of the question)
However , I think you should get a Haswell CPU instead of Ivy Bridge CPU
For Example : i5 4430 is cheaper but it offers the same performance as i5 3470 . i5 4430 can OC to 3.6GHz (Recommended mobo : MSI G41 Z87 , MSI G43 Z87 , Asrock Pro 3 Z87)
(07-10-2013, 03:27 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It's the third in line from Nvidia, falling behind the 690 and the Titan.
Dolphin doesn't support SLI , Crossfire , Dual GPU . GTX 690 is a dual GPU (2x 680 slap together) . Therefore , it's slower than Titan and GTX 780 in Dolphin
i5 3470 can OC to 4.0GHz max if you pair it with Z77 mobo (H61 , H77 , B75 are out of the question)
However , I think you should get a Haswell CPU instead of Ivy Bridge CPU
For Example : i5 4430 is cheaper but it offers the same performance as i5 3470 . i5 4430 can OC to 3.6GHz (Recommended mobo : MSI G41 Z87 , MSI G43 Z87 , Asrock Pro 3 Z87)
I knew about the SLI and dual GPU deal, and I wasn't about to slap a 1000 for a graphics card that wouldn't perform well. The 780 is right behind the 690 and Titan, and the techs had told me the reason behind why the 690 is so damn good. Good thing I didn't buy it. That said, GPU I think I'm more than set on.

I'm just wondering. Is the OC necessary? What kind of GHz is necessary to even perform SS, SMG 1 and 2? Nevermind fullspeed, I just want to play them with minimal speed loss. I don't mind a little speed decrease, considering my top CPU isn't top of the line, but if it's good enough to do, I won't replace it.

I heard someone say they can run The Last Story on an i5 2500k, and mine's an upgrade of that according to the tech guy. Should I be good without overclock, or is 3.2 GHz major bad? I guess what I'm asking is, will it do? I don't give a damn on fullspeed, I just don't want horrible lag. Lower speed, just not blatantly noticeable.

Sorry, I type long by habit. Can't write short for crap. So please forgive my long spill there.
I think the general consensus for TLS is one of the following:

2500K/2600K @ 4.6 GHz

3570K/3770K @ 4.3 GHz

4670K/4770K @ 4.1 GHz

As your chip isn't clocked as high as the recommended amount for its generation, you won't get fullspeed.
Oops , it seems like you can't overclock non k Haswell CPUs
http://techreport.com/news/24950/intel-r...swell-cpus
It's possible for non k Ivy Bridge CPUs though . why did Intel do this ? Sad
My 2ยข is the desktop is getting the bottom of the barrel CPUs with Haswell. Intel doesn't want returns because people can't get their free 400MHZ.
Pages: 1 2 3