Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Phenom 9750 and GTX 670 Too Slow?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

arrow_runner

I cobbled together a PC for my g/f from a 9750 barebones that I got for free and a GTX 670 I got at a great price. I wanted her to at least be able to play Harvest Moon and Fire Emblem on it. Fire Emblem seems to work fine, but Harvest Moon is running really choppy at 50-60% in the open world.

She had been playing on mine at perfect speeds. An i7-2600k and GTX 680. I didn't really expect the 9750 to be a bottleneck at all, but am I wrong here?
That Phenom is much slower than the i7 is your other computer, so is causing a bottleneck. The GTX 670 should be enough for 4x IR + AA, though.

arrow_runner

Jeez. The CPU is only being used at about 65% according to task manager.... I know it's not as fast as my i7 but it's still a 2.4GHz Quad Core :/
You won't see CPU usage go much above 50%, due to the fact that most of dolphin's work can only be done on two threads, so only 2 cores are used.

2.4 GHz isn't that impressive.

A Phenom II has much lower IPC (instructions per clock) than a Sandy Bridge i7, which yours is. This means it has to be clocked higher to achieve the same performance.
(07-05-2013, 05:06 AM)arrow_runner Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's not as fast as my i7 but it's still a 2.4GHz Quad Core :/

Some Phenom can expect a decent performance but not this one. Even a Core 2 Duo would probably beat it
@AON3
He doesn't have a phenom II. He has a phenom I, MUCH worse. Phenom II is a good 20-30% faster at the same clock rate. So even a phenom II running at 2.4GHz would kick the crap out of it. Your point still applies I'm just pointing that out.

Not many games are going to run well on that thing.
Well I'll be a goomba's uncle you're right. That's the biggest boost from cache I'll seen since the P4 Celerons.
cpu bottleneck slow speed 2.4ghz compare i7 2600k(heat issue i7 cpu review news) 3.4ghz 8mb cache quad core+ hyperthreading(virtual core)!

need at least amd fx 8350 4.0 ghz 8mb cache quad core + 4 hyperthreading = total 8 thread cpu to beat i7 2600k 3.4ghz

amd very confusing saying it in module!!!
1 module(cpu) = 2 thread
4 module(cpu)= 8 thread(4core cpu+4 virtual core)

cpu cache higher the better but intel tend to be expensive

higher cpu speed better for speed hungry emulation

try lower IR to native for fastest emulation performance
off AA
1x A filter
untick scale to efb copy(speed up)

if want to compare intel and amd cpu instruction go to wiki and compare

amd ahead of intel for latest cpu instruction
Nonsense !
1 ) Dolphin doesn't support HyperThreading
2) In Dolphin benchmark , FX 8350 is much slower than i5 2500k
It would take 5.2GHz FX 8350 to beat i5 2500k stock speed , 5.2GHz FX 8350 is impossible with air cooling , water cooling
(07-05-2013, 03:51 PM)hell321 Wrote: [ -> ]cpu bottleneck slow speed 2.4ghz compare i7 2600k(heat issue i7 cpu review news) 3.4ghz 8mb cache quad core+ hyperthreading(virtual core)!

need at least amd fx 8350 4.0 ghz 8mb cache quad core + 4 hyperthreading = total 8 thread cpu to beat i7 2600k 3.4ghz

amd very confusing saying it in module!!!
1 module(cpu) = 2 thread
4 module(cpu)= 8 thread(4core cpu+4 virtual core)

cpu cache higher the better but intel tend to be expensive

higher cpu speed better for speed hungry emulation

try lower IR to native for fastest emulation performance
off AA
1x A filter
untick scale to efb copy(speed up)

if want to compare intel and amd cpu instruction go to wiki and compare

amd ahead of intel for latest cpu instruction
I just checked the wind waker benchmark thread and either I'm reading it wrong or what you posted is wrong.
Save 1

Fx 8350@4.0 Ghz=56 fps
I5 2500k@3.3 Ghz=66 fps
An I5 is an I7 without hyperthreading and the I7 should perform a little better to equal with an i5 so going by that what you posted is wrong.
Edit: Ninja'd. Nevermind.
Pages: 1 2 3