Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi! I want to play Wii games and I'm thinking to buy a laptop with an i5-3337U and a GT740M. The screen is 1366x768, so that resolution will be the max, but i don't care if the game have to run at lower resolution. Should be enought the i5 and the 740M? The laptop is an ASUS S56CB, by the way.
This processor will be too slow for a lot of games.

Which games are you planning to play?
(06-30-2013, 09:55 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]This processor will be too slow for a lot of games.

Which games are you planning to play?
The more demanding...(Mario Galaxy, Metroids, SSBB, but almost the time I will play Skyward Sword and a bit of Twilight Princess). I know that the grafic card is powerful enought to play in 2x internal resolution, but the i5... I mean, i don't care if the game looks horrible and with all ths things off, but I want that the games will be playlable.
(06-30-2013, 10:52 PM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]The more demanding...(Mario Galaxy, Metroids, SSBB, but almost the time I will play Skyward Sword and a bit of Twilight Princess)

As you said all these games (except SSBB maybe) are pretty demanding. Not sure you can get a "decent" speed with that CPU
I saw some post and see that the 3337U is better than the 480M, so an user said that better CPUs than a 480M can run Dolphin well. As I said, 1xIR and everything off...
Quote:so an user said that better CPUs than a 480M can run Dolphin well
I wouldn't say it like that if I remembered correctly .You might mistake my point . I think I would say "most games run well , demanding games are out of the question " or sth like that
I'm sure even an i7 4700MQ will not be able to run Super Mario Galaxy + LLE full speed all the time
With latest Dolphin (being slower than previous version) , I don't think i7 3517U could stand a chance .You may SSBB full speed but the rest (games you mentioned above) won't run at full speed , not even close

For all demanding games , I highly recommend i5 4670k/i7 4770k @ 4.0->4.2GHz (overclocked) or equivalent CPUs
Edit : Oops , I thought you would buy an i7 3517U , not i5 3337U . i5 3337U is slower than i5 480M
Quote:The laptop is an ASUS S56CB
Too expensive ...
You can get Lenovo gaming series Y410P (i7 4700MQ + Nvidia GT 750M GDDR5) for 800$ (amazon.com)
(06-30-2013, 11:42 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:so an user said that better CPUs than a 480M can run Dolphin well
I wouldn't say it like that if I remembered correctly .You might mistake my point . I think I would say "most games run well , demanding games are out of the question " or sth like that
I'm sure even an i7 4700MQ will not be able to run Super Mario Galaxy + LLE full speed all the time
With latest Dolphin (being slower than previous version) , I don't think i7 3517U could stand a chance .You may SSBB full speed but the rest (games you mentioned above) won't run at full speed , not even close

For all demanding games , I highly recommend i5 4670k/i7 4770k @ 4.0->4.2GHz (overclocked) or equivalent CPUs
Edit : Oops , I thought you would buy an i7 3517U , not i5 3337U . i5 3337U is slower than i5 480M
The 3337U outperforms better than the 480M. See bechmarks. The 3337U wins in single and multicore operations. As I said before...Even with lower possible settings?
PD: And some GC games such as Wind Waker?
(07-01-2013, 12:13 AM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]Even with lower possible settings?

Even with default settings. Your clock speed isn't high enough for Dolphin.

(07-01-2013, 12:13 AM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]And some GC games such as Wind Waker?

Zelda WW should work fine
Quote: See benchmarks. The 3337U wins in single and multicore operations
Do you know why it has lower rank than i3 390M (which is slower than i5 480M)?
i5 3337U is indeed better at benchmark (on-paper) . However, this is depending on the cooling and power consumption of the laptop , not all i5 3337U have the same performance
Notebookcheck also explained this before , ultra low voltage CPU is hard to predict its performance . This is the reason why they list i5 3337U's rank lower than i3 390M

Quote:Even with lower possible settings?
Graphic stuffs = GPU job
Lower resolution will not help at all unless your GPU bottleneck CPU
Buy Lenovo y410P instead
Thanks for reply! So, GC will run perfect, great! The frequency, BTW, can reach 2.5Ghz in the two cores, and I choose the ASUS because has a great cooling system and never reach 50ÂșC in full load.
Pages: 1 2 3