Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(07-01-2013, 06:39 AM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]So, GC will run perfect, great!

Zelda WW will work fine because it's a "light" game. You might be less lucky with games much more demanding. Which other games are you planning to play?
I didn't thought about that, so I can't say much more.
PD: How about Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii?
(07-01-2013, 07:04 AM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]How about Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

New Super Mario Bros will work fine. Donkey Kong Country Returns is more demanding
I still advise against that notebook . Adding a few more bucks , you can get yourself a gaming notebook with great cooling capability like MSI GE 60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834152406
Quote:
I choose the ASUS because has a great cooling system and never reach 50ºC in full load.
I really doubt that , my friend own an Asus multi-media notebook . Only Asus gaming notebooks are good , Asus multi-media notebooks run hot like hell
Your notebook is thinner than his multi-media notebook . I'm sure your notebook will run hot as well
i5 3210M + Intel HD full load = 35W power consumption -> He has 55-60C temp
i5 3337U (17W) + NVidia GT 740M (35W) full load = 52W power consumption -> Your laptop will run hotter than his , not mention your laptop has inferior cooling design
(07-01-2013, 09:43 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I still advise against that notebook . Adding a few more bucks , you can get yourself a gaming notebook with great cooling capability like MSI GE 60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834152406
Quote:
I choose the ASUS because has a great cooling system and never reach 50ºC in full load.
I really doubt that , my friend own an Asus multi-media notebook . Only Asus gaming notebooks are good , Asus multi-media notebooks run hot like hell
Your notebook is thinner than his multi-media notebook . I'm sure your notebook will run hot as well
i5 3210M + Intel HD full load = 35W power consumption -> He has 55-60C temp
i5 3337U (17W) + NVidia GT 740M (35W) full load = 52W power consumption -> Your laptop will run hotter than his , not mention your laptop has inferior cooling design
I don't mean the CPU or GPU temperature, I mean the temperature that I get in the surface of the laptop. How I see in some reviews, the temperature keeps in low values. And the MSI Laptop is very expensive. My ASUS can be purchased for 650€, ans this MSI goes to 1150€. Thats almost the double!
PD: One more thing: the values that you put is the TDP, not the power consuption. The power consumption is lower than the TDP.
(07-01-2013, 09:21 PM)sinholueiro Wrote: [ -> ]My ASUS can be purchased for 650€, ans this MSI goes to 1150€. Thats almost the double!

Well , you live in Europe , no wonder why (it cost 1100$ in US though)
Asus ultrabook i5 3317u + Nvidia GT 635M (which is weaker than GT 740M) temps : 83-86C during full load
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus...093.0.html
Edit :
Quote:I don't mean the CPU or GPU temperature, I mean the temperature that I get in the surface of the laptop.
It makes sense now . However , OEM thermal compound degrade fast (except gaming notebook - OEM thermal compound . Some gaming notebook manufacturer use top of the line aftermarket TC - IC Diamond ) . If you got 83-86C full load , 0.5-1 year later you would get 90-99C
That's the point. The Lenovo that you show before costs 800$ which is 640€. If I can get it for 700€, but that series of IdeaPad don't exist in Europe (or my country). The other option is an Ivy i7QM with a 7670m for 680€.
Haswell i7 4xxxMQ has Intel HD 4600 which can handle 2.5x Internal Resolution (1600x1320) in Dolphin
2.5xIR is recommended for 14" laptop with 1366x768 display
So if i bought a multimedia laptop with i7 4xxxMQ + Nvidia GPU , I would :
_PC games : underclock the CPU to 1.5GHz to reduce the heat (using Throttlestop) , GPU is at high performance mode. This won't effect FPS much since PC games rely on GPU performance (I tried with my i5)
_Dolphin/PCSX2 : Go to Nvidia Control Panel , add "Dolphin.exe" and "PCSX2.exe" to "integrated GPU" profile . So the dedicated GPU will be at idle mode while CPU is at high performance mode -> Laptop will run much cooler
Spoiler:
Ivy i7 3xxxQM has Intel HD 4000 which can handle 1x -> 2x IR (depending on the game)
If you can't get Haswell atm , I think you should wait or get the Quad i7 Ivy + dedicated GPU
So, with an i7-3630QM, for example, I will play without problems? Because I can get that i7, but I lose the SSD, the aluminum and the 740M....
As long as that laptop has dedicated GPU , you still need it for PC games
Pages: 1 2 3