Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [suggestion] Bump Mapping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

rafamariofan

Dolphin already supports high definition textures. Why not also add support to Bump Mapping or Parallax mapping?
Various games will have an awesome look! Tongue

Sorry for my bad english.
Technically this should go in the feature request thread. As far as I know, this wouldn't be impossible, though.
Because most GC/Wii games don't use it?

It's a texture so technically if any game does actually use them if I'm not mistaken you should be able to use the existing hires texture loading option to replace the stock bump maps with your own.

rafamariofan

(06-24-2013, 04:36 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Because most GC/Wii games don't use it?

It's a texture so technically if any game does actually use them if I'm not mistaken you should be able to use the existing hires texture loading option to replace the stock bump maps with your own.
Sure, SMG1 & 2 are good examples but... i'm not talking about REPLACING, but adding a new texture map.
While that might be possible it's a really ridiculous suggestion. You're talking about making the game do something it's not designed to do. Which is rarely a good idea in emulation. There is so much room for things to break.
If I'm right in thinking that dolphin works out where polygons are, and what shaders they use, before performing equivalent operations in OGL/D3D, it wouldn't be too hard to give each generated shader the ability to render a normal map using standard methods used in other rendering applications that use OGL/D3D. It would be inaccurate, but so are many other enhancements dolphin has. Also, at least one developer expressed a desire to implement custom mesh loading, which is even less true to the original game than a simple normal map.
Go convince neobrain to do it. Then record the resulting laughter.
Nah, I'll just wait until I've done with education and am unable to find employment to cover £50,000 of university debt in about 5 years and do it myself.
Yeah I'm working on that as we speak.

rafamariofan

Undecided What it has become¬¬
Pages: 1 2 3 4