Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wind Waker help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I'm struggling with Wind Waker. Tried a bunch of settings but I keep getting a 5-10 FPS drop, this wouldn't bother me if the sound didn't suffer slow downs, but it does. I can run it a really high or native settings, I still get these frame drops. That's in the first area of the game.

CPU - AMD A8-3870k, 3.0GHz Quad Core
GPU - AMD HD 7750
RAM - 4GB
Dolphin 3.5-367
DSP LLE, audio backend OpenAL or DSound, doesn't matter.
Resolution, AA, AF, V-Sync none of that seems to matter.
Backend, either Direct3D9 or OpenGL work about as well.
Framelimit set to auto or off, idle skipping on or off, doesn't matter.
Dual core enabled
EFB Copies to RAM, set to safe (because I'm loading custom textures to fix a graphic glitch).
Playing it fullscreen, force 4:3.

Scaled EFB copy enabled, External Frame Buffer disabled.
Everything else not mentioned here isn't ticked.
Using a 360 controller.

Like I said, always have this same 5-10 frame drop. If I can get the music to keep running smooth, for me that'd be enough.

Have you checked your temperatures?

Have you tried changing the texture cache to fast and turning off load custom textures?
Quote:AMD A8-3870k @ 3.0GHz
EFB Copies to RAM, set to safe (because I'm loading custom textures to fix a graphic glitch)
CPU bottleneck
Overclock your CPU !
On wind waker?
Wasn't it clear enough ?
He used "EFB copies to Ram + Texture cache : Safe" with Zelda WW
If he want to use those settings with Zelda WW , he will need more CPU power
I believe he will need to overclock his CPU up to 3.8GHz (IGPU disabled,high voltage needed) to run Zelda WW full speed with those settings
It would be fine if he used "EFB copies to texture + Texture cache : Fast" in the first place
Yeah I tried those things suggested, didn't work. But I don't get it, I can run Brawl full speed and for me that seems like a more demanding game.
EFB copies to Ram is set as default in Dolphin - Zelda WW's .ini files . Even if you switch to "EFB copies to texture" in Dolphin Graphic settings , this process will not be accepted because .ini settings will revert your settings (EFB copies to texture) back to "EFB copies to Ram"

In order to force the game run with EFB to texture , you must edit .ini settings :
_Right-click the game -> Properties -> Edit Config : Open .ini with notepad , find the "EFB to texture = false" or something similar to that under "video hack" and then change "false" to "true"
(06-18-2013, 11:19 PM)Vicaris Wrote: [ -> ]I can run Brawl full speed and for me that seems like a more demanding game.

In comparison to other games Dolphin can emulate, both WW and SSBB are very lightweight. It doesn't take much to run either. With a default Dolphin configuration, WW is going to be more demanding due to the fact that it forces EFB Copies -> RAM every time you boot, even if you have it set to EFB Copies -> Texture, as admin89 said. Setting that option to RAM is more demanding than setting it to Texture. Additionally, you're setting the Texture Cache Accuracy to Safe, which is more demanding than Fast. If you're setting it to Fast while playing SSBB, that's going to be another factor making it easier to play than WW. It's not a simple matter of one being a GC game and the other being a Wii game.
If you're using d3d9 there is hardly any difference (if any) in performance between efb copy to ram and efb copy to texture on wind waker. Something isn't adding up here.

@Vicaris

Have you tried other builds? Perhaps 3.5? You can get them here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

I'm willing to bet that you got the build you're using now from an unofficial site. You should probably avoid doing that in the future.
(06-19-2013, 06:29 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]If you're using d3d9 there is hardly any difference (if any) in performance between efb copy to ram and efb copy to texture on wind waker. Something isn't adding up here.

@Vicaris

Have you tried other builds? Perhaps 3.5? You can get them here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

I'm willing to bet that you got the build you're using now from an unofficial site. You should probably avoid doing that in the future.
I got the latest build from the official site, I'll try the 3.5 you recommended.

edit: hey so I think I really did get one from a different website, I remember the layout from the page I got it from was slightly different, but I thought it was the official. So I tried the new stuff you guys advised, 3.5 and changing the .ini files and now I got slight frame drops and they're a lot less frequent.

Thanks guys, I'll keep playing to see how it goes though, I guess there'll be more issues but let's see.
Pages: 1 2 3