Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How's my laptop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been using this on my new laptop lately and it runs great. I'm just wondering, in general "how well" should my laptop be capable of running most games especially the graphic intensive ones?
Edit: I only plan on using Dolphin for GameCube games. But I will be playing almost all of the popular ones lol

ASUS G75VX - BHI7N11

Windows 8 x64

Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz (Turbo boost to 3.4GHz)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 670MX
Quote:Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz (Turbo boost to 3.4GHz)
Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.3 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.4 GHz (for 1 active core).
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...051.0.html
Dolphin is a dual core application ,your CPU performance will be identical to i5 3350P (desktop CPU) if you can max out turbo boost
Most demanding games require i5 3570k @ 3.4 -> 4.5GHz . So you get the idea
Your GPU is good but your CPU is not good for those games
(06-15-2013, 03:52 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz (Turbo boost to 3.4GHz)
Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.3 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.4 GHz (for 1 active core).
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...051.0.html
Dolphin is a dual core application ,your CPU performance will be identical to i5 3350P (desktop CPU) if you can max out turbo boost
Most demanding games require i5 3570k @ 3.4 -> 4.5GHz . So you get the idea
Your GPU is good but your CPU is not good for those games
Edit: Oh I see, well that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping a a PC with these specs would be good enough lol
There are many demanding gamecube games too . Especially , Call of duty GC require a ridiculous powerful CPU to run full speed
Not all wii games are demanding , there are many wii games that is less demanding than GC games
(06-15-2013, 04:12 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]There are many demanding gamecube games too . Especially , Call of duty GC require a ridiculous powerful CPU to run full speed
Not all wii games are demanding , there are many wii games that is less demanding than GC games
I already have a modded Wii for Wii games xD but that really sucks, cause GameCube is my favorite system. I was hoping to run the games on my laptop.
Edit: I tested a few of the games I have, and even when I had my CPU clocked down to 2.4GHz most of the games ran smooth 58-61FPS or 27-31FPS. So If It was clocked all the way up to 3.4GHz then shouldn't it be able to handle a lot?
Quote:and even when I had my CPU clocked down to 2.4GHz most of the games ran smooth 58-61FPS or 27-31FPS. So If It was clocked all the way up to 3.4GHz then shouldn't it be able to handle a lot?
You can run most game fine (even some demanding games such as Xenoblade) with older Dolphin versions (such as Dolphin 3.5 -145 , Dolphin 3.5 , Dolphin 3.0, Dolphin 6515...) if your CPU is at 3.4GHz
Edit : Nope , As i explained above , 3.4GHz is single core turbo . Dolphin is a dual core application , your CPU will never run at 3.4GHz but around 3.2-3.3GHz
With latest Dolphin however , you can expect much slower speed (though some games can gain more speed with latest Dolphin)
Dolphin project aims for accuracy and accuracy sometime sacrifice performance you know
(06-15-2013, 04:12 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Call of duty GC require a ridiculous powerful CPU to run full speed

Actually it's no more true.
It was true when COD2 needed Interpreter mode to work but it was fixed. Now the game is "only" very demanding but not unplayable. Both COD games for GC are very demanding. Btw you can now get a "decent" sound with new AX-HLE.

Just a parenthesis in this thread
(06-15-2013, 09:41 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2013, 04:12 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Call of duty GC require a ridiculous powerful CPU to run full speed

Actually it's no more true.
It was true when COD2 needed Interpreter mode to work but it was fixed. Now the game is "only" very demanding but not unplayable. Both COD games for GC are very demanding. Btw you can now get a "decent" sound with new AX-HLE.

Just a parenthesis in this thread
Well I like that I can play a lot of the games that I want to. But the main one I was trying to get to work was Ultimate Spider-Man. I don't think I can do anything to make that run faster. It barely wants to stay at 20 FPS
(06-16-2013, 04:04 AM)DQScott95 Wrote: [ -> ]the main one I was trying to get to work was Ultimate Spider-Man. I don't think I can do anything to make that run faster. It barely wants to stay at 20 FPS

Yeah because this game needs MMU to work. It slows down emulation considerably. A powerful CPU is needed and even with that it isn't easy Big Grin
Oh ok. And is the speed difference between HLE audio and LLE that big? I've just been using LLE for all of my games.
Pages: 1 2