Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Haswell - Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'll just leave this here:

Hexus Wrote:In terms of CPU performance, Haswell delivers an increase of up to 10 per cent when compared directly to incumbent Ivy Bridge on a same-clock basis, while IGP performance rises by as much as 50 per cent in certain titles.

AnyOldName3 Wrote:but didn't succeed in making was that Ivy was a tick, and got a ~12% improvement

Where did you get that number from?

AnyOldName3 Wrote:Haswell would have shown greater improvement than Ivy, but it was smaller, implying a large deceleration in improvement, meaning 30% may be more than 3 years away.

It was smaller because they want to shrink the die to bring costs and TDP down without hurting singlethreaded performance. I doubt they'll do this again, or at least no more than one more time.
(06-04-2013, 06:33 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Lebada3 Wrote:As it looks, there won't be any major improvements in IPC.

How do you know that?

Lebada3 Wrote:Would probably run great on a 6-core, and probably perfect on 8-core.

No it won't. This has been discussed to death. If anything it would run worse because of all of the synchronization stalls.
Right...
May not run in it's current form. But then again it's freeware, so can't expect too much. Plenty of other Software which is not optimized.
Quote:Right...
May not run in it's current form. But then again it's freeware, so can't expect too much. Plenty of other Software which is not optimized.

I'll just leave this here.

http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#couldnt...-go-faster
FAQ Wrote:Couldn't Dolphin use more of my CPU cores to go faster?

CPUs do not work that way.

Every core on a CPU runs in parallel. Two tasks can run very well in parallel if they don't need to communicate often or to run at the exact same speed. For example, compressing files can be run on separate cores because compressing one file and compressing another file are two completely independent tasks, which do not need to communicate.

In Dolphin, the only demanding tasks that can run well in parallel are the CPU, the GPU and the DSP. Breaking up any of these tasks into smaller tasks just to run it on more cores is very likely to make the program slower. That's why Dolphin only runs on 3 cores and won't use all of your 4 or 6 cores CPU.
(06-05-2013, 07:03 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. That's the exact opposite of the tick-tock model.

Tocks are by definition where the big improvements in IPC/performance are supposed to happen. Ticks are mostly just die shrinks.

Kind of. I suppose it is up to interpretation. Intel says that both tick and tock offer performance gains so I suppose we are both correct Smile

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/s...neral.html
(06-05-2013, 08:58 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'll just leave this here:

Hexus Wrote:In terms of CPU performance, Haswell delivers an increase of up to 10 per cent when compared directly to incumbent Ivy Bridge on a same-clock basis, while IGP performance rises by as much as 50 per cent in certain titles.
Heard of this thing called rounding?
Quote:
AnyOldName3 Wrote:but didn't succeed in making was that Ivy was a tick, and got a ~12% improvement

Where did you get that number from?
Shortly after the Ivy release, the number peddled around on this forum was 10-15%. 12 is more or less in the middle.
Quote:
AnyOldName3 Wrote:Haswell would have shown greater improvement than Ivy, but it was smaller, implying a large deceleration in improvement, meaning 30% may be more than 3 years away.

It was smaller because they want to shrink the die to bring costs and TDP down without hurting singlethreaded performance. I doubt they'll do this again, or at least no more than one more time.
This still is against the tick tock model.
Lebada3 Wrote:Right...

It's not a question of optimization. What you ask is logically impossible. MaJoR's quote elaborates on this.

AnyOldName3 Wrote:Heard of this thing called rounding?

Yes. But there are applications where it shows a 10% increase. On Hexus only luxmark but there are more on tomshardware/anandtech.

AnyOldName3 Wrote:Shortly after the Ivy release, the number peddled around on this forum was 10-15%. 12 is more or less in the middle.

The number being thrown around was 10%. I know because most of that peddling came from me.

AnyOldName3 Wrote:This still is against the tick tock model.

Not at all.

Perhaps I should rephrase "It was smaller" to "It was smaller than it would have been if they hadn't emphasized cost and TDP". The size still went up. The microarchitecture still grew bigger and more complex in this tock cycle. Just not as much as last time.

haddockd Wrote:Kind of. I suppose it is up to interpretation. Intel says that both tick and tock offer performance gains so I suppose we are both correct

At every investor conference they've held they've said that most of the performance improvements are supposed to happen on tocks. So I still stand by what I said.
AFAIK other than Cedar Mill all ticks brought something new, albeit small, to the table.
This is true now that I think about it. However Intel presents it as "just a die shrink" to investors. And the improvements made to the microarchitecture (which somehow don't count as a new microarchitecture) almost never produce any gains in average IPC. Ivy bridge is the first time I can think of where that wasn't the case.
Hi!

I have an old PC bought in 2007 so it's time for an upgrade since I want to play games with PCSX2 and Dolphin. The problem is that I don't know what CPU to choose. I have waited until now since I thought taking the last one (Haswell) would be a good idea, but judging from what I read in this topic, it looks like a 3570K would be a better a choice since it overclocks higher?
Can you confirm this so I don't waste more money than I should or can I still go with Haswell?

Thanks!
Quote: it looks like a 3570K would be a better a choice since it overclocks higher?
How many MHz do you want to overclock ?
An i7 4770k can be overclocked to 4.6GHz (completely stable) with only 1.2Vcore , the same Vcore apply to i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz
For i5 3570k , Anything higher than 4.5GHz is not recommended .
As for i5 4670k , it doesn't have HyperThreading . So it will run cooler than i7 4770k -> i5 = Better Overclocking
Just buy Asrock Z87 Pro 4 which is dirt cheap and reliable (you can buy Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 if you want to) + i5 4670k + PSU : Seasonic S12II 520W 80plus bronze Japanese Caps (Buy 620W version if you want more head room for SLI) + Gigabyte/EVGA GTX 770 (which is abit faster than GTX 680 and cost the same as GTX 670) + 4x4GB Gskill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6