Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

Love the fourms, so hoping you can help me out here.

My PC specs aren't to shabby, amd 8120 (8 core, 3.1 ghz) and i'm running an nvidia GTX660.

Trying to run gamecube games, (doesn't really matter what one, trying to play twilight princess and melee,) and my frames drop to an unplayable level.

In zelda, only getting 25, in melee, once fighting starts, dropping from 60 down to 40

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

~Steak
' Wrote:My PC specs aren't to shabby, amd 8120 (8 core, 3.1 ghz) and i'm running an nvidia GTX660.

Your GPU is excellent for Dolphin, but your CPU actually isn't the best. Dolphin relies a lot on single-threaded performance; you'll probably need to overclock to get better speed in a number of games, depending on which ones you play. Some games are more demanding than others.

' Wrote:In zelda, only getting 25, in melee, once fighting starts, dropping from 60 down to 40

LoZ:TP is a 30 FPS NTSC game and a 25 FPS PAL game. If you're using an NTSC version, where do you get the slowdowns? If it's in Hyrule Field, everyone gets slowdowns there (sooner or later, especially when most of it becomes completely accessible) and there's not much you can do. Even overclocked systems get slowdowns there. Melee should not be dropping that low. It's a pretty light game, and even if the FX chips don't have the best single-threaded IPC, I would expect you to be able to run this fullspeed easily.

What are your Dolphin settings? Do you happen to have VSync enabled? Sometimes turning that off helps. What's more, you're not using the latest revision from the official site. Get the latest here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/
[quote='Shonumi' pid='277478' dateline='1369760907']
[quote=]
My PC specs aren't to shabby, amd 8120 (8 core, 3.1 ghz) and i'm running an nvidia GTX660.
[/quote]

Your GPU is excellent for Dolphin, but your CPU actually isn't the best. Dolphin relies a lot on single-threaded performance; you'll probably need to overclock to get better speed in a number of games, depending on which ones you play. Some games are more demanding than others.

[quote=]
In zelda, only getting 25, in melee, once fighting starts, dropping from 60 down to 40

LoZ:TP is a 30 FPS NTSC game and a 25 FPS PAL game. If you're using an NTSC version, where do you get the slowdowns? If it's in Hyrule Field, everyone gets slowdowns there (sooner or later, especially when most of it becomes completely accessible) and there's not much you can do. Even overclocked systems get slowdowns there. Melee should not be dropping that low. It's a pretty light game, and even if the FX chips don't have the best single-threaded IPC, I would expect you to be able to run this fullspeed easily.

What are your Dolphin settings? Do you happen to have VSync enabled? Sometimes turning that off helps. What's more, you're not using the latest revision from the official site. Get the latest here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Well, Zelda didn't work at all with the x64 version. The x86 version had a bit more success, but after you grab epona, (ntsc) and walk into the village, frame drops. 24-26 :/

I have v-sync disabled. Any idea on what settings I should change? I really appreciate your help, sir.
Uh, is it just me or did you manage to make a blank post? XD
Sorry about that, seem to be struggling a bit :/ (Hard to belive that i'm a computer tech and can't post on a fourm :/)

Well, Zelda didn't work at all with the x64 version. The x86 version had a bit more success, but after you grab epona, (ntsc) and walk into the village, frame drops. 24-26 :/

I have v-sync disabled. Any idea on what settings I should change? I really appreciate your help, sir.
(05-29-2013, 03:36 AM)wellbornsteak Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Zelda didn't work at all with the x64 version. The x86 version had a bit more success, but after you grab epona, (ntsc) and walk into the village, frame drops. 24-26 :/

(05-29-2013, 03:08 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU is excellent for Dolphin, but your CPU actually isn't the best. Dolphin relies a lot on single-threaded performance; you'll probably need to overclock to get better speed in a number of games, depending on which ones you play. Some games are more demanding than others.

25fps is pretty good with your CPU
If you can, take screenshots of the following: click the Graphics button -> General, Enhancements, and Hacks tabs, click the Config button -> General tab. If we see what you have enabled, we'll tell you if anything needs to be changed.

From what I hear about the most recent Dolphin revisions, LoZ:TP requires OCing (or just Turbo Boost) even with HLE audio on Ivy Bridge Intel CPUs (which have a much high single-threaded IPC than AMD's FX CPUs, hence a higher level of performance in Dolphin, clock-for-clock). Dolphin gets more accurate over time, and usually becomes more demanding as a result. You'll most likely need to OC your CPU to get those missing 5-6 FPS. You could try the latest stable release (3.5, released in December) and that might give you better performance.
Obligatory warning that I'm tired of giving out: 3.5-367 is a really old build, and you got it from the wrong site. There are newer builds here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/
(05-29-2013, 03:55 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Obligatory warning that I'm tired of giving out: 3.5-367 is a really old build, and you got it from the wrong site. There are newer builds here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

I already told the OP that, silly :p And the OP already tried the latest...
Oh, oops, missed that, sorry. [escapes from thread]
Pages: 1 2