Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mountain Lion Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JSeymour

I'd like to thank everyone here for creating what is currently my favorite emulator for any system.

However, after a few months use, I'd like to discuss issues my system has with Dolphin.

I have a custom-built "Hackintosh" built to Mac Pro early 2008 specs.

Processor 2.94 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1605 MHz DDR3

Graphics GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

Serial Number G88451235J4

Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)

The system did not come with Bluetooth capability, so I am using a Rocketfish Bluetooth USB adapter. I attempted to use an off-brand "Skylanders" Wiimote and Nunchuk, and the Bluetooth refused to recognize its existence in either OSX or Dolphin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skylanders-Giant...B008RT8602

I replaced this with a real Wiimote and OSX recognized that there was something there, and eventually referenced it as a Nintendo remote. When attempting to pair it up in Dolphin 3.5, the Wiimote vibrated to suggest that it was paired up and would work.

So, I believe in theory the Wiimote should be working correctly in Dolphin 3.5, although I have no way of testing this. It is not recognized by Dolphin 3.0, which as far as I know does not work with Wiimotes at all in OSX Mountain Lion.

So here's the problem.

Dolphin 3.5, and certain newer versions of Dolphin 3.5 which I have tried out, do not work correctly. Wii-format material crashes the program immediately. Gamecube-format material does not seem to recognize the controller during gameplay. My controller is a Nyko Playstation-style controller, which the controller setup menu of Dolphin recognizes perfectly, but during actual gameplay the controller doesn't work.

So instead I use Dolphin 3.0, to run material in Gamecube format, which it does very well except for certain shading issues with the graphics - dark square blotches appear on characters' faces in many games, making them too ugly to be comfortably playable. This is not true of every game and mainly happens with first-party games. Some third-party games simply crash and refuse to play.

Other third-party games suffer from synchronization problems during cutscenes- the audio does not sync up with the video, making these uncomfortable to play. If memory serves it's the video running slowly.

Dolphin 3.0 can also comfortably run material in Wii format, using again a Nyko Playstation-style controller. However, most Wii games are designed to work with a real Wiimote [and Nunchuk] and won't even run until a Nunchuk is connected. As far as I know, Dolphin 3.0 does not even recognize Wiimote activity in OSX Mountain Lion.

Most of these games are difficult or strange to play with a Playstation-style controller, at least the way I have it set up. If people have suggestions for a controller configuration which covers most Wiimote eventualities I'd be interested in hearing them, but it's clear that this thing is hard to replace.

So, to summarize:

I would like suggestions on a version of Dolphin which recognize Wiimote activity in Mountain Lion and will not immediately crash when a Wii game is loaded. 3.5 and the current latest build crash upon loading any Wii game.

I'd also like suggestions on how to fix the graphics issues with first-party Gamecube material that causes dark shading errors on character graphics in 3.0 and beyond. [Although I've read previous threads on this which suggest there is no solution currently.]

EDIT UPDATE: 3.5 builds 1155 and 1223 do not seem to crash immediately on loading a Wii game. This bodes well; going to do further experimentation.

EDIT 2:
A boxing game works using build 1223, but is running in slow motion, with audio to match. This was not nearly as pronounced in 3.0 for some reason; the audio was only slightly off.

EDIT 3:
A fantasy/quest game using the Nunchuk seems to be working well in build 1223. Some games are being uncooperative or slow, but overall things are starting to work.

EDIT 4:
Most Wii games are running at 50% speed, unfortunately. A few of the more common first-party titles work fine, though, or aren't entirely ruined by the slowdown.

Gamecube games still no longer recognize the Playstation controller as of build 1155, despite the controller working just fine in the setup menu. Certain games refuse to work now. Graphics issues are no longer present, I believe. More investigation needed.
Even though you're using a hackintosh, you'll get far better performance on Windows, so you may want to install it via bootcamp.

Also, I'm interested to know how easily non-mac hardware dual boots into OSX and Windows, so wouldn't mind comments from someone with first hand experience.

JSeymour

I've never tried Bootcamp. I might not need it; I actually have a partioned hard drive which was intended to run Windows originally - the partition is 500GB and I keep files on it.

I never installed Windows; I don't have an installation disc for it. But I could give it a shot, I suppose ....
If you can't run windows, Linux is still better than OSX for Dolphin.
OS X isn't that terrible for Dolphin. And since I'm the only regular OS X Dolphin user here, it would be folly for any of you to try to refute that.

The shading issue is specific to Nvidia cards under OS X, and is fixed by using any builds past 3.5-1000-ish. Crappy performance after that should be improvable by checking "Hacked Buffer Upload" in Graphics > Hacks, and crappy performance after that is fixable by... overclocking. (Performance decreases are inevitable as an emulator increases in accuracy and compatibility.)

Also, real Wii Remotes haven't worked for me since 3.5-400-ish, either I can't get 'em connected or input doesn't work after that. Lucky you, having it work perfectly fine. :\

JSeymour

It's odd how very important functionality comes and goes with different builds of Dolphin.

Hacked Buffer Upload unfortunately seems to disable the graphics entirely.

I believe the Gamecube shading errors are fixed in the builds beyond 3.5-1000 as you say, but for some reason my Gamecube controller input is not recognized in any 3.5 build I've seen. I am using a Playstation-styled controller, which the setup menu recognizes all input from perfectly, but Dolphin seems to ignore it during gameplay.

Wii games are working okay in builds 1155 and 1223, but for most of the games performance is sluggish, at about 50% speed.

The person who built this computer says that I shouldn't try to install Windows or Linux on this myself, as getting it correct can be tricky and would probably break the OS.
JSeymour, check the gamecube settings found under Options > Configure > GameCube tab > Port 1 = Standard controller.

JSeymour

Thanks for that Skid. Gamecube PSX controller now works in 3.5 builds, now that I've enabled it in that menu. I can play Gamecube games without graphics issues.