Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Progressive scan and resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

tahsin002

Hi everyone, I have some questions
What is 480p, 720p and 1080p?
What is Progressive scan?
Does progressive scan need a certain resolution to work?
Which resolutions on dolphin are 480p, 720p and 1080p?
(05-21-2013, 02:20 AM)tahsin002 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone, I have some questions
What is 480p, 720p and 1080p?
What is Progressive scan?

Why don't you google all of them ? Wikipedia ?
Quote:Does progressive scan need a certain resolution to work?
No , it doesn't
Quote:Which resolutions on dolphin are 480p, 720p and 1080p?

None of 'em , Dolphin uses Internal Resolution . Wii Native Resolution (1xnative) = 640x528 ; 2x native = 2x(640x528) = 1280x1056 .You can choose whatever you like (1x ,2x,3x,4x...)
480p = 640x480, 720p = 1280x720, 1080p = 1920x1280. The "P" stands for progressive scan, meaning it shows you a whole frame every frame and it doesn't do that silly thing where it shows only half of the lines in each frame and it flickers and looks worse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

For Internal Resolution, 1x is approximately 480p, 2x is approximately 720p, and 3x is approximately 1080p. 4x IR is for those huge 27-30" screens. (These measures are all in width and are the minimum you'll need to meet/exceed 480p/720p/1080p.)

(Protip: "Fullscreen resolution" in Graphics > General is a pointless setting, just set it to whatever your screen resolution is. It doesn't control the actual rendering resolution.)
For the difference between interlaced and progressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg
pauldacheez Wrote:For Internal Resolution, 1x is approximately 480p, 2x is approximately 720p, and 3x is approximately 1080p. 4x IR is for those huge 27-30" screens. (These measures are all in width

I understand what you're doing and why you're doing it but that is not correct usage of this syntax. It always goes by height resolution, you're using width resolution. For example both 1280 x 720 (16:9 aspect ratio) and 960 x 720 (4:3 aspect ratio) are considered 720p. 1280 x 720 is commonly associated with 720p simply because most content out there is 16:9 aspect ratio, but of course dolphins internal resolutions are not.

Approximate values:
1x is 480p
1.5x is 720p
2x is 960p
2.5x is 1200p
3x is 1440p
4x is 1920p

Exact values:
1x is 528p
1.5x is 792p
2x is 1056p
2.5x is 1320p
3x is 1584p
4x is 2112p

pauldacheez Wrote:and are the minimum you'll need to meet/exceed 480p/720p/1080p.

Most GC games and some Wii games don't even support widescreen aspect ratios. And in that case the above values are what you need to meet/exceed those resolutions. Your values only correspond to games running in widescreen mode. Since both dolphin and the real hardware handles widescreen in an anamorphic manner I feel that my values are more "proper" in this sense as well.

@tahsin002
And of course this is just going by internal resolution (the resolution of the image that dolphin renders). There is also your fullscreen/windowed resolution to consider (the resolution that dolphin outputs). In order for you to actually be able to see 720p or 1080p your internal resolution, fullscreen resolution (if you're running dolphin in fullscreen mode), windowed resolution (if you're running dolphin in windowed mode), and screen resolution (the resolution of your display) all have to be at or above a height resolution of 720 for 720p and 1080 for 1080p.

Dolphin also has auto window size which automatically matches the internet resolution to your fullscreen/windowed resolution. And auto multiple of 640 x 528 which automatically selects between 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x based on your fullscreen/windowed height resolution.

Dolphin always outputs progressive scan content since computer monitors and HDTVs are always progressive scan displays.

On an actual GC you have to choose between composite, s-video (NTSC regions only), or rgb scart (PAL regions only) video output. And in all three cases you're limited to 480i. Which means 640 x 480 for a game that's running in fullscreen mode and 854 x 480 for a game that's running in widescreen mode. And interlaced scanning.

On a Wii you have those three video output options plus component. With component output you can configure the Wii and your games to run at either 480i or 480p (the same resolution but with progressive scanning).

LCD, DLP, and PDP (plasma display panel) HDTVs are progressive by nature. So they have to convert any interlaced content they receive into progressive content before they can display it using a deinterlacer. Since the type of deinterlacer used varies from one TV to another you'll see different results. And as such the difference in perceived quality between 480i and 480p depends completely on what TV model you're using.

Since it takes awhile to appropriately explain the differences between interlaced scanning and progressive scanning in a way that anyone can understand I would recommend that you just read that wikipedia article that pauldacheez linked instead.
Edit: Or watch that video.
(05-21-2013, 04:30 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]On an actual GC you have to choose between composite, s-video (NTSC regions only), or rgb scart (PAL regions only) video output. And in all three cases you're limited to 480i. Which means 640 x 480 for a game that's running in fullscreen mode and 854 x 480 for a game that's running in widescreen mode. And interlaced scanning.

Small correction. First generation, and possibly some later, Gamecubes had Component output and where capable of outputting progressive scan.
I knew somebody was going to point that out Tongue. I don't count that because of how absurdly hard it was to get the cables even if you had a compatible model.
Yeah If you got lucky enough to buy them from a retail store for the insanely small amount of time they where out it wasn't too bad. If you missed that very small retail sales window you had to either import them and pay absurd shipping costs or let some guy on ebay screw you to the tune of $150 to $200.

Edit: I was one that got screwed.
You payed $200 for a GC component cable?

Why would you do that!?!?

You could have easily made your own if you just looked up the pinout which was widely available.
No I didn't pay $200 for mine. I only payed about $100, the the vein attempt to make the GC not look like complete ass on my hd tv. There where still plenty being sold online for close to the $200 mark.

I would normally build my own and did look up the pinout. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think there was some kind of chip or circuit in the cable connector that made it it quite a bit harder than normal. There where some people who had done it but quality was sacrificed or something. I was still going to do it for my moded GC but never got around to it.
Pages: 1 2