Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FX-6300 and 7850 performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just wondering what kind of performance this will be able to get.

AMD FX-6300
Radeon 7850 2GB @ 1.0GHz (Will probably overclock from the stock 760 860MHz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
64 Bit Windows 8 or Debian-Based Linux distro (probably just gonna be Ubuntu).

I'm guessing it should be able to run most stuff. Looking to play some multiplayer stuff with friends, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc. I'll probably also check out Skyward Sword, Wind Waker, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy and some other singleplayer stuff.

Thanks in advance for any replies Big Grin
You'll likely have some trouble with Xenoblade and Super Mario Galaxy, though overclocking will partially alleviate that. Otherwise, you're fine, I think.
Ive met some people that were able to play Practically all of those games on AMD's Vishera series. However, you will need to overclock to get even close to running SMG and Xenoblade properly/at a playable level. The GFX card will be able to handle practically everything you need to do in dolphin easily. Im not sure how high you will have to overclock the 6300 to get reasonable performance on SMG, since ive never seen any benchmarks for Dolphin on that CPU (or used it myself). Will probably need to get above the 4GHz mark, despite Vishera's slight IPC boost.
Thanks for the replies. What would be stopping SMG from running properly?
The CPU would be too slow
On top of just being really fucking CPU-intensive in the first place, it also requires DSP LLE and EFB to RAM.
(05-05-2013, 09:46 AM)Sato Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies. What would be stopping SMG from running properly?
Speed, Speed, and speed of the CPU. Dolphin relies heavily on light threaded performance that AMD CPU's have a hard time delivering on. Dolphin is light-threaded application, which modern Intel CPU's have better performance in this sort of application (like Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge i3's,i5's, and i7's to be broad). A stock AMD Vishera (Desktop Piledriver series) CPU just doesnt have what dolphin needs for intensive games like SMG. Overclocking can alleviate or in some cases ive seen mostly fix this problem depending on how much you can overclock the CPU. You could probably get a better explanation from natural Violence, since he is a little more familiar with the guts of dolphin than I am.
By "light-threaded" you obviously mean single-threaded. Don't mince words, it pisses me off.
(05-05-2013, 10:00 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]By "light-threaded" you obviously mean single-threaded. Don't mince words, it pisses me off.
Well sorry, but Dolphin actually does use more than one thread sometimes(usually 2). Especially when using using LLE( or the new HLE). Its not gonna use all 8 threads on higher end CPUs, but its not going to use just 1 thread either. People use both lightly threaded and single-threaded. I used it sense I felt that single may have not been the more correct option. I would appreciate if you cooled down a bit, please? :/
If he can push that CPU to 5.5GHz , go ahead !
SMG + LLE audio require i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz or equivalent CPU
Quote: it also requires DSP LLE and EFB to RAM.
LLE , yes
EFB copies to Ram . no
Quote:Overclocking can alleviate or in some cases ive seen mostly fix this problem
Not possible with his CPU , not even close unless he do suicide OC with LN2 cooling . Check Dolphin Benchmark here
Pages: 1 2 3 4