Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does NVidia-driver effect Dolphin's graphics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello everyone!

Is it possible to improve the graphics of Dolphin (or to change them in any way) by forcing the graphical settings from the Nvidia graphics card-driver?
Just wanted to know, if it's worth to make some tests ..
Yes but nvidia inspector is infinitely better for this sort of thing than nvcp (nvidia control panel).

Also the thread Zee linked is horribly out of date and a significant amount of the things I wrote in it no longer apply to modern cards/drivers.
Is there a guide how to use NVidia Control Panel or that NVidia Inspector with Dolphin to get a better picture?
Nope.

The following is a method I used to use back when SSAA in dolphin was completely broken instead of just partially broken. It provides very good image quality compared to dolphins SSAA but it does have a small performance hit. (at least 10-20% depending on the game) which is why it would be more ideal to completely fix dolphins SSAA shader.

Quote:-Download/unzip nvidia inspector 1.95
-Launch it and click the button on the right side with the tools
-Create a profile for "Dolphin"
-Add dolphin.exe to the profile
-Chance the AA compatibility bits in the Dolphin profile to 0x00008000 or 0x00080000
-Set AA mode to override the application
-Leave transparency multisampling and transparency supersampling off
-Set anti-aliasing to 2x2 SSAA
-Save the profile (the button is in the upper right corner)
-Launch dolphin.exe and set anti-aliasing to 4xSSAA in the graphics configuration
-I would also advise using fraction IR (auto window size)

Source: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-har...i-aliasing

Obviously this will only work with the d3d9 backend.

You could also add FXAA which I know works with the openGL backend but I'm not sure about the others. It should in theory work with all three and if it doesn't you can always use an injector.

I've never experimented with trying to add SSAO to dolphin with nvidiainspector but I'm sure it's possible.

I also haven't tried TRMSAA, TRSSAA, SGSSAA, or HSAA. TRMSAA, HSAA, and MSAA are likely impossible to get working in dolphins d3d9 backend. It's also highly unlikely that you'll be able to apply any sort of enhancements to dolphins d3d11 backend.

And then of course there are the texture mapping enhancements which can be applied from nvcp or nvidia inspector which aren't really noticeable and you likely already have on.
Ok, thank you for these information, NaturalViolence!

I think I won't do any tests then if it's not working with d3d9 backend ..
I wanted to test if I can get rid of that nasty rough-color-gradient-issue that's cursing Dolphin for a long time now .. If it's not even intended, what I don't hope ..
(05-04-2013, 03:42 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but nvidia inspector is infinitely better for this sort of thing than nvcp (nvidia control panel).

Also the thread Zee linked is horribly out of date and a significant amount of the things I wrote in it no longer apply to modern cards/drivers.
I too, would like more clarification on this.
slax65 Wrote:I think I won't do any tests then if it's not working with d3d9 backend ..

What isn't working with d3d9? I only posted about OGSSAA and that works fine in d3d9. In fact d3d9 is the only backend that it works in.

slax65 Wrote:I wanted to test if I can get rid of that nasty rough-color-gradient-issue that's cursing Dolphin for a long time now .. If it's not even intended, what I don't hope ..

The only color gradient issue that I know of in dolphin is an issue in skyward sword that can easily be fixed with the force filtering option. What are you referring to?

isamu Wrote:I too, would like more clarification on this.

Please be more specific. What do you want to know?
Quote:What isn't working with d3d9? I only posted about OGSSAA and that works
fine in d3d9. In fact d3d9 is the only backend that it works in.
I tried it out, I don't see any appreciable change of the graphics ..

Quote:What are you referring to?
I already made a thread about this quiet a while ago, but I didn't really get attention for it ..
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-col...-revisions

A picture I made to show what I mean:
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4601/mustergg.jpg

Another question I have:

The PixelDepht option has been taken out of the Dolphin GUI .. Though I still can change it by editing the Dolphin.ini (changing false to true) it does not work in game .. Sad
Is it broken?
Did you open an issue report for it? You can't expect the developers to respond to you on the forums, they're busy people.

And yeah that looks pretty awful....

That's definitely not something you can fix with driver settings though. It looks like a low color depth is being used with no dithering. Do we know if that's accurate behavior or not?

slax64 Wrote:The PixelDepht option has been taken out of the Dolphin GUI .. Though I still can change it by editing the Dolphin.ini (changing false to true) it does not work in game .. Sad
Is it broken?

I remember them saying they were going to remove it. Either they did and they forgot to get rid of the .ini option or they didn't and just removed the GUI option. I'm not sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4