Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What kind of Gpu do i need for 4x IR.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
as from my specs i have an average run of the mill gpu now capable of ~2x to 2.5x resolution depending on game with either NO AA or some 4x SSAA most.

im getting a few slowdowns in some of the more graphic intensive games because im obviously gpu bottlenecked and the AA is probably taking a toll but it really smooths out some of the games i play which look a little pixilated at higher IRs with no AA which i dont like.

i want a GPU that can run ANY game at least 4x IR with at least no AA. ive looked into some of the other threads about resolution and that 3x ir + 4x SSAA is more like 5x IR. i would be happy with a card that could do that too.

my current budget is going allow for a Radeon 7850. im not sure if im going need to expand a bit and get one that can at least handle 4x resolution. or a Slightly smaller resolution so i can get some AA.

my overall goal is to have a resolution of ~3.5-4x IR with 4x SSAA at least. or at least get rid of my gpu bottleneck for more of the intensive games.

Thanks,

-Venom

Plus i heard Nvidia cards are better overall in this department for Emulation. but im wondering by how much better it would be over a radeon card in general in dolphin. if it would make a huge difference... id probably stick to Radeon anyways cuz free PC games lol.
I would say minimum geforce 660 gtx, or 7950 from radeon camp, maybe 7870

I know because I had 460 gtx heavily overclocked and it still couldn't handle 4x IR no AA in a lot of games

I have 660 gtx now and it can run 4x IR in any game at the same speed as other lower resolutions
Venomx1 Wrote:i want a GPU that can run ANY game at least 4x IR with at least no AA.

If only some kind forum activist had painstakingly compiled a list of dolphins gpu requirements based on benchmarking data: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-min...video-card

Venomx1 Wrote:ive looked into some of the other threads about resolution and that 3x ir + 4x SSAA is more like 5x IR.

3x IR + 4xSSAA = 6x IR, not 5x

Venomx1 Wrote:my overall goal is to have a resolution of ~3.5-4x IR with 4x SSAA at least.

Good luck. A top of the line graphics cards like a GTX 680 might be able to pull that off but that's about it. I would also stick to fractional + 9xSSAA (I'm assuming you're using a 1920 x 1080 monitor) instead. It's less demanding and will produce better image quality.
(04-04-2013, 06:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Venomx1 Wrote:i want a GPU that can run ANY game at least 4x IR with at least no AA.

If only some kind forum activist had painstakingly compiled a list of dolphins gpu requirements based on benchmarking data: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-min...video-card

Venomx1 Wrote:ive looked into some of the other threads about resolution and that 3x ir + 4x SSAA is more like 5x IR.

3x IR + 4xSSAA = 6x IR, not 5x

Venomx1 Wrote:my overall goal is to have a resolution of ~3.5-4x IR with 4x SSAA at least.

Good luck. A top of the line graphics cards like a GTX 680 might be able to pull that off but that's about it. I would also stick to fractional + 9xSSAA (I'm assuming you're using a 1920 x 1080 monitor) instead. It's less demanding and will produce better image quality.
yeah but.. according to that i can do 4x Internal Resolution with a 5750? yeah. i cant do that without slowdowns at all lol. and i got a 5770. ah well.

guess ill wait and see if my budget can go higher than.

btw what you mean fractional? like 2.5x?

@rpglord do you run games with AA or just 4x IR?
Well how close are you getting? You should be able to get pretty close to fullspeed with that card at 4x. Also what backend and other settings are you using?
(04-04-2013, 06:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]If only some kind forum activist had painstakingly compiled a list of dolphins gpu requirements based on benchmarking data: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-min...video-card

I am sorry, but your chart is not correct if we are talking about ANY game like he mentioned.
If we are talking about general guideline for most games, charts would be correct.

But 4x IR for any game require atleast geforce 660 gtx, or geforce 580 gtx etc...
^I concede that this is true. However he shouldn't need much more than what the chart says.
(04-04-2013, 06:43 AM)Venomx1 Wrote: [ -> ]@rpglord do you run games with AA or just 4x IR?

It depends on the game. 660 gtx can handle ANY game with 4xIR and of course in some games you can use AA as well with 4xIR
(04-04-2013, 06:45 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2013, 06:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]If only some kind forum activist had painstakingly compiled a list of dolphins gpu requirements based on benchmarking data: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-min...video-card

I am sorry, but your chart is not correct if we are talking about ANY game like he mentioned.
If we are talking about general guideline for most games, charts would be correct.

But 4x IR for any game require atleast geforce 660 gtx, or geforce 580 gtx etc...
regular gtx 660 or your talking 660ti.

also would you recommend it over a Radeon card for Emulation. im not sure if dolphin favors nvidia cards or not. (PCSX2 does).
Regular. 650 TI Boost should also be able to pull it off.
Pages: 1 2 3