Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Zelda Windwaker, Keeps crashing during the Hemlock Bird Fight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Game: Zelda Windwaker. Gamecube.
ID: GZLE01

During the hemlock bird fight (seccond time at forsaken fortress, After obtaining the master sword), you help the prisoners, they leave, and the hemlock bird flies down and looks at you, the screen slowly fades into black, like it's supposed to to get into battle, and the music fades, and then nothing. I let it on for about a minute to see if it was loading slow, nope. (speed 100% the whole time.) I Then, loaded my game from about 30 minutes ago (-_-), and got back to the part, saving state right at begining of cutscene. it froze, exact time. I reloaded Several times with no hope, always freezing at the exact part. I'm using dolphin 3.0, i believe 32 bit (says win32).

Specs: HP Envy 15 notebook PC
intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20ghz 2.20ghz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit operating system

I have encountered a few errors before (crashes after boss fight, some crashes at warp), but all were resolved just by reloading, until now. So please help me out, my settings are pretty much the default settings, direct3D9, 2x native (changing those still didn't help,) and the only hack being enabled was disable fog, to speed it up a little.
Generally speaking LLE is supposed to solve all of the grey screen freezes but your PC isnt fast enough for that. Older version had the Fix Item Hang patch although I believe it was depreciated. I am unsure as to why.
(04-03-2013, 11:49 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Generally speaking LLE is supposed to solve all of the grey screen freezes but your PC isnt fast enough for that. Older version had the Fix Item Hang patch although I believe it was depreciated. I am unsure as to why.
lle? And are you sure i couldnt just run it before the glitch, and then after it loads the cutscene flick it off?
First thing, stop using big fonts, we haven't blind people here. Second, DON'T USE save states because they're unstable... Do a regular in-game save and get to the battle WITHOUT using save states... If the problem persists, try using DSP LLE (it fixed some cutscenes locks when I played the game). If even with LLE it doesn't work, then you may have a bad ISO dump, try redumping again. Also, take in mind that using LLE will make the game run with massive slowdowns, because your system is too weak to handle it. So, if LLE solve your issue, beat the boss and then switch back to HLE to get your speed back...
Woah sorry i didn't even notice i used big fonts xp, must've accidently clicked, anyway alright thanks, and i don't use savestates alot, only whenever my game freezes, i'll reload ingame, and savestate right before the error encountered. And where is this LLE found? I'm only finding a few in Audio, but i doubt audio would be the problem, if so, which one?

(04-03-2013, 11:52 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]First thing, stop using big fonts, we haven't blind people here. Second, DON'T USE save states because they're unstable... Do a regular in-game save and get to the battle WITHOUT using save states... If the problem persists, try using DSP LLE (it fixed some cutscenes locks when I played the game). If even with LLE it doesn't work, then you may have a bad ISO dump, try redumping again. Also, take in mind that using LLE will make the game run with massive slowdowns, because your system is too weak to handle it. So, if LLE solve your issue, beat the boss and then switch back to HLE to get your speed back...
Still no luck, i tried Audio LLE, Says something like "Failed to load dsp rom", and how do i use Rom dumps?
Yes, LLE Audio's the fix here - more specifically, you're gonna have to use it *without* "DSP on Dedicated Thread"/"LLE on Thread" checked, because while that does give a performance boost, it still doesn't prevent this issue because putting the DSP emulation on another thread inevitably causes some timing issues. GameCube games can be weirdly picky about DSP timing, and since the HLE audio code for the ucode used in the Zelda games is currently the only one that hasn't been completely rewritten by delroth it's in an absolutely atrocious state, thus it has fucktons of timing and logic issues in addition to its actual sound output issues. Basically, it sounds like shit and it's broken.

Also, you can't switch between HLE and LLE in-game, and you can't toggle DSP on Dedicated Thread in-game either. And this audio-related crash/hang happens pretty often in Wind Waker, so this kinda sucks. Oh well, either you wait for delroth to start on new-zelda-hle or you deal with any speed issues that come with using LLE and not having it on its own thread.
(04-03-2013, 12:26 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, LLE Audio's the fix here - more specifically, you're gonna have to use it *without* "DSP on Dedicated Thread"/"LLE on Thread" checked, because while that does give a performance boost, it still doesn't prevent this issue because putting the DSP emulation on another thread inevitably causes some timing issues. GameCube games can be weirdly picky about DSP timing, and since the HLE audio code for the ucode used in the Zelda games is currently the only one that hasn't been completely rewritten by delroth it's in an absolutely atrocious state, thus it has fucktons of timing and logic issues in addition to its actual sound output issues. Basically, it sounds like shit and it's broken.

Also, you can't switch between HLE and LLE in-game, and you can't toggle DSP on Dedicated Thread in-game either. And this audio-related crash/hang happens pretty often in Wind Waker, so this kinda sucks. Oh well, either you wait for delroth to start on new-zelda-hle or you deal with any speed issues that come with using LLE and not having it on its own thread.
Ah. Well man i wish bad graphic loadings/ terrible sound was the problem here, but it's not, the Whole screen goes black aka freezes. no audio or sound. Speed at 100%. It's pretty ridiculous how i got this far dealing with constantly reloading from other crashes, freezes, etc, and now the game wont work. I tried reloading using Ingame saving, Twice, still freezes there. Then i save stated right before cutscene, and constantly reloaded, and froze at exact same part. Also, i switched graphics cards, and messed with dolphin settings, STILL Didn't work. This is Very frustrating. Angry
It isnt supported (and I am shooting in the dark) but you COULD try the 3.0 release and see if the Fix Item Hang patch works for you.
For one i'm on 3.0, And for two, i don't think you understand the problem..
Why you're still using 3.0? Try the latest development branch (currently at 3.5-1158) without save states and your problem will probably go away... If not, try with LLE recompiler audio. Also, in the latest version you should be able to use LLE audio even without the ROM files...

EDIT: Since your CPU is weak, you could try using an old revision, like r6515, it'll give you some speed bosts and may fix your issue without needing LLE audio
Pages: 1 2