Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Haswell i7-4770k performance previewed on Tom's Hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Thought this would be of interest to readers of this forum. Some caveats from the article:

-The chip was on loan from Intel, so they did not overclock it.
-Seems to be only one single-threaded test (at the top of the link) in their preview.

In that single-threaded test, Haswell outperformed Ivy Bridge by 3%. Does anyone have insight into how their test operations (converting audio to an AAC file) compares to what Dolphin does? Is there any sense in reading into this preview as a ~3% increase for Dolphin, compared to the 10-15% we had been hoping for/predicting?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core...461-4.html
This doesn't have anything to do with Dolphin, so moved to Delfino.
BlizzardToaBreeze Wrote:-Seems to be only one single-threaded test (at the top of the link) in their preview.

True but since they're all quad core chips this doesn't matter. All of the tests are valid since only architectural changes should effect performance (they have the same clock rates, cache size, and number of cores).

BlizzardToaBreeze Wrote:In that single-threaded test, Haswell outperformed Ivy Bridge by 3%. Does anyone have insight into how their test operations (converting audio to an AAC file) compares to what Dolphin does? Is there any sense in reading into this preview as a ~3% increase for Dolphin, compared to the 10-15% we had been hoping for/predicting?

We have no idea. In some benchmarks it shows moderate gains in others it shows little to none. Multimedia applications seem to have experienced the biggest gains which makes sense given the wider pipeline. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I did notice that the K edition cpus don't support TSX. That pisses me off. Why the fuck would they do that? That will likely boost multithreaded performance significantly in a number of applications once it's implemented for any cpu that supports it.
I'm waiting for Cinebench
Glad to know that there isn't reason to be disappointed then!
There is still hope
Don't kill my dream Intel !
I wish my Mobile Quad Core Broadwell @ 3.5GHz (would buy it in 2014) could run Mario Galaxy + LLE back end full speed
If 3% improvement was true , damn it ... i would have to dump mobile Broadwell and get mobile Skylake/Skymont instead (i don't wanna wait that long)
(03-19-2013, 07:26 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I did notice that the K edition cpus don't support TSX. That pisses me off. Why the fuck would they do that? That will likely boost multithreaded performance significantly in a number of applications once it's implemented for any cpu that supports it.

They are also removing VT-x afaik which sucks for those who use virtual machines Sad
Since AMD basically gave up, Intel has no pressure to release a groundbreaking CPU.
The prices are also leaked here, and they are around €331,- ~ €350,-. A bit more expensive than the Ivy Bridge launched.
God , AMD need to kick Intel's butt again ! Or else there is no future
ExtremeDude2 Wrote:They are also removing VT-x afaik which sucks for those who use virtual machines

Incorrect. They are removing VT-d support on K edition cpus, not VT-x.

admin89 Wrote:God , AMD need to kick Intel's butt again ! Or else there is no future

You need to accept that at some point in the near future (possibly this year) single threaded performance is going to stop substantially increasing from year to year. We all knew this day was coming. There are limits to how efficient you can make your architecture (in terms of IPC) and how high you can clock it. The fact that AMD isn't putting as much pressure on Intel as they used to doesn't really change that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5