Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin didn't notice that i changed my graphic card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,
Yesterday I gave up my idea to sell my sapphire 6970 that i replaced by a GTX670 in my computer.
I don't know why but nobody wanted to buy it even for 50€... anyway i decided to put it in my father's computer to replace the
6870 which is slower of course.
I removed the old drivers with driver sweeper and installed the new ones and of course the card.
Everything went well and the card is working very well (Battlefield 3 in ULTRA...) BUT dolphin still believe that I'm using the 6870 and loads parameters for the old card
resulting in terrible performances.
[Image: 421910dolphinbug.jpg]
[Image: 361662amd.jpg]

My sister used to play mario kart wii in 2xIR with 60fps on the 6870 but now on the 6970 dolphin is struggling to render 10fps and the GPU and VRAM freq are at 100%
The parameters worked perfectly fine for months so I changed nothing.

In "adapter" dolphin is only proposing AMD radeon HD 6800 series and I remember that it was proposing 6900 series when i was using it on my computer.

I tried to uninstall dolphin 3.0 and reinstall but it keeps proposing 6800 series and I even installed dolphin 3.5 but it's the same.

It must be in memory somewhere and I really hope that someone here know this problem.
Please help me.
Whatever it was that you were doing, you did not uninstall your driver properly. Dolphin nowhere caches the GPU model string anyway, it's just what we get from D3D.

Also, whatever your sister was doing, she did change something about the configuration. There's no way the GPU has such a strong influence on performance (not even if you had changed to sth like a radeon 3850 or w/e).

There's no way we can help you if you're claiming you were doing everything correctly when you clearly were not :/
Wait, AMD Vision Engine Control Center?

Does your fathers computer perhaps have some sort of AMD APU CPU?
If so, Dolphin is likely using the integrated GPU. You should be able to force it to use the dedicated GPU via the Control Center.
Quote:You should be able to force it to use the dedicated GPU via the Control Center.
You can do that with a Nvidia Optimus/AMD Switchable Graphic laptop . You can't do the same thing to desktop because desktop does not need to force anything
Quote:2xIR with 60fps on the 6870
There is something wrong with your system . 6870 is not that weak , 6870 can handle 4xIR 60FPS too
I don't know for the integrated GPU. This computer have a AMD X3 455 processor with the 4th core unlocked and is slightly overclocked.
I'm still trying to make it to work right now and I'll try to uninstall the drivers again and reinstall to see if something change.

I really don't like your answer neobrain you should read your reply before posting it next time. Why would I lie when i'm looking for help?
I said that the configuration was the same and it is!

Garteal i'll try to find something about that in AMD vision engine control center because on my computer i remember having AMD catalyst control center.
I see. Having that AMD CPU makes sense to have the AMD Vision Control Center.
Can you check if the GPU exits the idle state with GPU-Z while playing any game in Dolphin?
Oh thanks a lot Garteal I think that you are right! Look at that:
My graphic card is almost not used I think when dolphin is running. Oh and it's in french but only the numbers matters. I can switch to english if you want.
Spoiler:
Hum I've got almost 2500pts at FurMark's benchmark preset 1080p test and that's what i had with this card on my computer.
I don't know why dolphin is using only the processor... hummmmm
Try to set the Texture Cache accuracy to safe and see if that lets the GPU exit its idle state.
If not, then we'll have to manually either disable PowerPlay, or raise your idle clocks to its default clocks.

Quote:I don't know why dolphin is using only the processor... hummmmm
It's not. It's also using the GPU albeit at its idle clocks. This is a known problem though.
And it seems like HD69xx and GTX6xx GPUs are only affected afaik.
Oh ok should I reinstall my drivers too? I was going to do it.

Ok texture cache is in Safe mode (it was at the opposite) and only the FPS changed, it's now 23.
As you can see my GPU is still idle:
Spoiler:
I'll search about disabling powerplay but raising the idle frequency would mean that my GPU will always be running at 100%???
The 6970 is an energy dump at 100% that's one reason why I have bought my GTX670. I think it's around 250W
Quote:I'll search about disabling powerplay but raising the idle frequency would mean that my GPU will always be running at 100%???
No, but the clocks will be. You can follow this tutorial on how to setup a profile for the higher idle clocks. That way you can easily switch back and forth.
Pages: 1 2