Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tough Laptop Buying Situation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey guys, I haven't made any real threads lately, just been trying to help out others and poll people. As you can see, I have updates my signature with the stats of the Toshiba Admin89 recommended in one of my older threads. I was positive I would get this computer on my birthday, but now I'm not so sure. Please bear with me as I give out overwhelming information that could help solve my dilemma. You'll see what I'm asking when I'm done.

My mom owns a business. It is a baby, mom, and mom-to-be goodie box delivering company (swag). I have a job. I fold tissue and put products inside of boxes. I get paid $0.10 per box. It is the most terrible job in the world, by the way. At this point there are 300 members. Each month we gain about 10, but an extra each month. For example, January we gain 10, February we gain 11. Currently I made $100 with the business.

I have earned $40 for allowance that I will recieve when I buy a large item.

I have $60 saved up also.

To get that Toshiba, I came up with a plan that I proposed to my mom. I said that I ask for the Laptop for my birthday, and they pay for it. They then remove all of my money and my new birthday money. This way they end up spending less than $100. The laptop is $379.

My birthday is on April 20th.

I usually get $90 on my birthday, but my grandmother who usually sends $25 passed away.

I am seeing another grandma this weekend, and she usually gives me $40 to spend. Or I could save it.

My brother copied my idea and did just that, but with a Kindle Fire. My parents told him many times that he wouldn't get it. He got it yesterday.

This morning I was talking to my dad. He said a smarter route would be to ask for a Best Buy gift card of $75 for my main gift. He explained how he would pay too much for the laptop with tax, protection plan, and anti virus (which I really don't want).

I informed my mom about this and she said, "No no no. You will get a laptop."

This means they will go at it Sad.

I was thinking about my dads advice, but I really need a computer before High School starts. I don't need one untill November or December at most, but I would really like one sooner.

I then saw this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+-+15.6%2...Id=8384111

Best Buy apparently has started carrying MSI gaming laptops. Note that this has the same stats as an Alienware M14x, but at half the price. Now would I get a huge difference in Dolphin over the Toshiba in my signature?

What would be the month I would be able to get the MSI? Is it worth it? Could I get the Toshiba around my birthday if I get the Gift card? How soon? What are my parents doing? Being honest? Tricking me?

Note: My parents think I am less mature than I am, and see no need for me to get a computer. However they know that I want one desperately. >Sad

Can someone help answer all my questions? Thanks in advance and sorry for the giant math problem Tongue
That's are all terrible laptops, really the only decent laptops with great specs and the Retina Macbook Pros. They range between $2200-$3500. I got one and its beast at dolphin, runs everything buttery smooth.
Quote:really the only decent laptops with great specs and the Retina Macbook Pros.
It's not a gaming laptop , it's a multi-media laptop .Therefore , it will run hot with DOlphin and its specs ain't that great
Retina 15" (2200$) : Nvidia GT 650M DDR3 + Core i7 3615QM
Asus G55VW 15" (1200$) : Nvidia GTX 660M GDDR5 + Core i7 3630QM
Do a math dude ! If I paid 2500-3000$ , I could get an custom gaming laptop with extreme edition i7 ivy Bridge @ 4.0GHz or higher + Nvidia GTX 680M or AMD 7970M .
That MSI laptop is also a multi-media laptop but it's fine for that price range
You are partially wrong admin89. The Retina MBP doesn't overheat/get too hot. I get about 70-85 degree Celsius (average about 75-80 degree Celsius). This is pretty good for such a thin Macbook.
Quote: I get about 70-85 degree Celsius
See ! Anything over 75 degree is considered as hot (at least I think it like that Tongue ) .
When we talk about performance per dollar, portability (thin notebook or whatsoever) does not matter
MacBook Retina is not worth buying at all unless you desperately need that retina screen and portability
But since the OP can't afford anything over 700$ , why do we need bring the MacBook/gaming laptop story here ?
I'm not getting a MacBook. I just wanted to know if it was worth the wait (however long that is I don't know I didn't do the math but it's all there Tongue) or not. I mean the only thing that really makes me want the MSI is the 2GB of nVidea graphics. Are those good graphics? Compared to the Toshiba, which I think may be not in stock anymore at bestbuy, would I get a huge boost in Dolphin and PC games? I was hoping someone could help me figure all this out.
Quote:would I get a huge boost in Dolphin and PC games?
You will get you pay for : 700$ vs 300$ ? The answer is obvious
Nvidia GT 645M can handle 3xIR (higher than 1080p) while Intel HD 4000 still struggle at 480p
i5 3210M @ 2.5GHz -> Turbo Boost 2.9GHz with Dolphin will blow i3 3120M away
PC gaming performance ? Google both "Nvidia GT 645M notebookcheck" and "Intel HD 4000 notebookcheck"
Quote: 2GB of nVidia graphics
Graphic memory - VRam does not matter . For Example : Nvidia GT 520M 2GB is a sh*tty GPU
Memory Bandwidth does matter . Please read the "minimum specs - video card" thread
IlovetheGamecube Wrote:It is the most terrible job in the world, by the way.

I can think of plenty that are far worse. Would you prefer mining for sulfur?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:He explained how he would pay too much for the laptop with tax, protection plan, and anti virus (which I really don't want).

Tell them that the protection plan and anti-virus are completely useless. Sales tax in your state are pretty low. I know because I lived there for awhile.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Note: My parents think I am less mature than I am, and see no need for me to get a computer. However they know that I want one desperately.

What does maturity have to do with it? We live in a digital age. Don't you guys type your homework up these days instead of writing it on paper? Don't you do your research online?

If your parents think you are immature it's usually either because you've given them reasons to believe this (which can be fixed) or they're the type that feels that always putting you down is the best way to build character and get you strive to be your best (which will likely never change until you're out of the house).

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I just wanted to know if it was worth the wait (however long that is I don't know I didn't do the math but it's all there ) or not.
IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Can someone help answer all my questions? Thanks in advance and sorry for the giant math problem
IlovetheGamecube Wrote:What would be the month I would be able to get the MSI? Is it worth it?

[Image: Math3.png]

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:My mom owns a business. It is a baby, mom, and mom-to-be goodie box delivering company (swag). I have a job. I fold tissue and put products inside of boxes. I get paid $0.10 per box.

Ok......you haven't told us how many boxes you process per week/month so we don't know your income.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:At this point there are 300 members. Each month we gain about 10, but an extra each month. For example, January we gain 10, February we gain 11.

Ok....... What does this have to do with you?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Currently I made $100 with the business.p

That's great....except we don't know how long you've been working there.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I have earned $40 for allowance that I will recieve when I buy a large item.

How does this allowance work exactly? Does it increase at a certain rate or is it just $40 every time you buy an expensive item?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I have $60 saved up also.

Good this we can actually use. However does this $60 come from the $100 that you made or is it from a separate source (relatives maybe)?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I usually get $90 on my birthday, but my grandmother who usually sends $25 passed away.

I am seeing another grandma this weekend, and she usually gives me $40 to spend. Or I could save it.

So you're predicting to get $75 from relatives. Correct?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:This morning I was talking to my dad. He said a smarter route would be to ask for a Best Buy gift card of $75 for my main gift.

Another constant value that we can use.

Ok. So algebraically so far we have:
40 + 60 + xz + y + 75 = 699

Where
x = monthly income from job
y = birthday money from relatives, currently unknown
z = number of months
We are also assuming that the allowance remains at 40. You have not informed us if it is constant or variable (does it increase over time?) and if it is variable the rate at which it increases. You have also not given us a predicted amount of birthday money or the weekly/monthly income from your job. If you really do get paid only based on the number of boxes processed then you need to give us an estimate of how much you make per week/month from doing that. You haven't given us any of the data needed to solve this problem.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I was thinking about my dads advice, but I really need a computer before High School starts. I don't need one untill November or December at most, but I would really like one sooner.

Why does it have to be a laptop?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Best Buy apparently has started carrying MSI gaming laptops.

Protip: Anyone can call their laptops "gaming laptops"

Also I generally dislike MSI hardware. In my experience there motherboards and laptops have had reliability issues. Others have had good experiences with them though so to each his own.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Note that this has the same stats as an Alienware M14x, but at half the price.

Like macintosh the alienware brand is generally overpriced due to their well known name which makes marketing easy for them.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Now would I get a huge difference in Dolphin over the Toshiba in my signature?

I'll let admin handle this one (or maybe he already did, I haven't read his posts yet) since I don't feel like comparing specs.

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:Could I get the Toshiba around my birthday if I get the Gift card? How soon?

Wait I thought the whole point was that you would get the gift card instead of the toshiba laptop so that you could get the MSI laptop instead? Am I missing something?

IlovetheGamecube Wrote:What are my parents doing? Being honest? Tricking me?

Now I'm confused. Tricking you into what?
I can reply to all of your replies and then you will fully understand what I'm asking and how to solve it and what I should do and why my parents are muy estupido. However I don't know how to add multiple quotes by the same person in one post efficiently. All I can think of is copy and pasting their quote over and over and changing what's inside. There must be an easier way.
Code:
[quote='NaturalViolence']blah blah blah this is why you're wrong and retarded blah blah blah[/quote]

Looks like:
NaturalViolence Wrote:blah blah blah this is why you're wrong and retarded blah blah blah

In other words:
Code:
[quote='Name of person you're quoting here']text that person said here[/quote]

Don't forget the apostrophe's around the name.
Pages: 1 2 3 4