Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin or Wii U?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

TuskenRaiderBob

I recently tried Dolphin with Mario Galaxy and I was impressed with how it looked with the graphics turned up. Does anyone know whether the Wii U upscales the graphics of Wii games as I'm considering buying one. If so, how much by? I can run MG at a high resolution with AA and AF at decent amounts.
The Wii U does not upscale wii graphics in any way. Wii games play on it exactly as they would if on a Wii.
The Wii U still renders Wii games at 480p, but since it's over HDMI it's upscaled better than it would be over component/composite. But it certainly doesn't beat running the games in Dolphin with the resolution/AA/AF turned up.

Also note that the game's gonna crash in certain spots unless you're using LLE audio, and using that is gonna slow down the game quite a bit unless you have the ridiculously-commonly-recommended i5 3570K overclocked to at least 4.2 GHz.
Wii U is dumb user friendly and always works, Dolphin is HD plus tons of features that no one really needs. Chose one :p
pauldacheez Wrote:The Wii U still renders Wii games at 480p, but since it's over HDMI it's upscaled better than it would be over component/composite.

Wait what? Why would it be upscaled better? Don't HDTVs just convert the analog signal to digital RGB then upscale it?
I'm assuming he means that since HDMI is pure digital with no analog conversion and less chance for signal interference you would end up with a cleaner image being upscaled. Maybe? Though I doubt you would see a huge difference in the real world.
That I certainly agree with. But he made it sound like the upscaling itself would be better. As if HDTVs use a different algorithm for component input.
(02-27-2013, 06:01 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
pauldacheez Wrote:The Wii U still renders Wii games at 480p, but since it's over HDMI it's upscaled better than it would be over component/composite.

Wait what? Why would it be upscaled better? Don't HDTVs just convert the analog signal to digital RGB then upscale it?
Wii U renders the games to 480p and then upscales them to 1080p before outputting them. It's not the best upscaling- it creates some artifacts and looks soft- but it beats the scaling most HDTVs can do by a fair margin. I've noticed a clear improvement in color and overall clarity using the Wii U at 1080p vs. leaving it at 480p and letting the TV do the scaling. The HDMI and upscaling also enable 1:1 pixel mapping on most sets, which can improve the picture over the old Wii a small amount too.

But yeah, nothing along the lines of what dolphin can do.

xalphenos Wrote:I'm assuming he means that since HDMI is pure digital with no analog conversion and less chance for signal interference you would end up with a cleaner image being upscaled. Maybe? Though I doubt you would see a huge difference in the real world.

From what I've read that's a myth. HDMI still requires its own conversion process to transmit a digital signal, so even though it remains digital the whole time it's still being converted in a way that could degrade the signal, though I doubt it's as bad as an analog conversion.
If you're talking about RGB to YCbCr I would hope consoles aren't doing that for games.
Yeah that would be incredibly stupid and doesn't make any sense. All consoles that support HDMI should do RGB output by default since the framebuffer itself is RGB.
Pages: 1 2