Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Better Steam Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I use Steam's Big Picture hooked up to my TV to play gamecube games via Dolphin (great job, guys!).

I have just a couple of suggestions about some better support for folk like me. I've already saw This thread but it didn't cover what I wanted to suggest and I thought it would be better to start my own thread, as is customary on most forums.

1. Could you please add support to steam's UI whilst playing a Dolphin game? Unless this is just me, I can't access the overlay at all.
2. Could you also please add a way to close dolphin without mouse/keyboard? I'm assuming there is a method I've not found to close dolphin entirely when a game is closed (any suggestions would be nice), but it's impossible, unless I'm mistaken, to actually close said game without standard PC peripherals.

I use an Xbox pad to play my games. I don't want to emulate mouse/key strokes via xpadder or what-not, as it is a MAJOR disruption to all my other games when done so.

I also don't want to have to buy an extra mouse/keyboard to bring to the room where my TV is

Thanks

PS. please don't begin a flame war over how PC peripherals > xbox peripherals. I've yet to post about my xbox pad on the internet without starting one and I really don't care
Why can't you use Xpadder for this? Lack of buttons? Why not just get another device instead? A cheap miniature wireless keyboard would do the trick quite nicely.
(02-21-2013, 12:46 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you use Xpadder for this? Lack of buttons? Why not just get another device instead? A cheap miniature wireless keyboard would do the trick quite nicely.

Quote:I don't want to emulate mouse/key strokes via xpadder or what-not, as it is a MAJOR disruption to all my
other games when done so.

I also don't want to have to buy an extra mouse/keyboard to bring to the room where my TV is
Valid suggestions imho, we should try to get Dolphin usable with gamepad only (at least the game part, not all the UI obviously). Allowing hotkeys to be bound to gamepad inputs would allow exiting a game with the gamepad.
oh, marvellous!

Is there any reason why you don't want to support the steam overlay? I find it to be an amazing addition to gaming, especially since I've mastered the awkward joypad keyboard

If I might suggest an input method, steam itself uses middle button-right trigger for screenshots by default. Utilising the middle button as a combination input like this would be good for safely exiting a game, imo. Something along the lines of middle button-start, or whatever meets your fancy.

the middle button is usually either the steam button on a steam pad or the xbox logo on an xbox pad
I know steam is popular but it's still a third party application that has nothing to do with emulation. I could be wrong but I doubt any of the devs will be interested in supporting it.
I'm not closed to the idea of improving Dolphin's integration to popular frontends (Steam, Hyperspin, XBMC, ...).
Quote:I know steam is popular but it's still a third party application that has
nothing to do with emulation. I could be wrong but I doubt any of the
devs will be interested in supporting it.
Well I could be mistaken, but judging by how well so many games support Steam's overlay
without even trying (many games from before steam even existed), it shouldn't
be such a giant task.

Of course, I'm only a noob, I could be wrong, but most of my non steam games added to steam work flawlessly.

(02-21-2013, 04:13 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not closed to the idea of improving Dolphin's integration to popular frontends (Steam, Hyperspin, XBMC, ...).
Well that's good to hear, I hope you do Big Grin
(02-21-2013, 04:26 AM)Rellac Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I know steam is popular but it's still a third party application that has
nothing to do with emulation. I could be wrong but I doubt any of the
devs will be interested in supporting it.
Well I could be mistaken, but judging by how well so many games support Steam's overlay
without even trying (many games from before steam even existed), it shouldn't
be such a giant task.

Of course, I'm only a noob, I could be wrong, but most of my non steam games added to steam work flawlessly.

(02-21-2013, 04:13 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not closed to the idea of improving Dolphin's integration to popular frontends (Steam, Hyperspin, XBMC, ...).
Well that's good to hear, I hope you do Big Grin
I think the key difference here is that games supporting the overlay come from Steam (i.e. they are Steam Apps). In this case Steam is just acting as a launcher to start up Dolphin. I don't believe the steam overlay is supported in any game/title launched that way. Getting Dolphin registered as a Steam app is likely impossible without funding/corporate backers, which are unlikely for an emulation application.
I have tons of non-steam games that work with the overlay
Pages: 1 2 3