Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Better Steam Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(02-21-2013, 08:08 AM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]I think the key difference here is that games supporting the overlay come from Steam (i.e. they are Steam Apps). In this case Steam is just acting as a launcher to start up Dolphin. I don't believe the steam overlay is supported in any game/title launched that way. Getting Dolphin registered as a Steam app is likely impossible without funding/corporate backers, which are unlikely for an emulation application.
Most of my non-steam games support the overlay just fine without actually officially supporting it. As I said, many from before Steam was a thing. Morrowind/Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Stronghold Games, Civilisations Games, WoW, Minecraft, DDO, just to name a few. (I'm aware some of these were later released officially on steam but they had full unintentional support before being released there)

The only exceptions I've found are windowed games, REALLY old games and a few community project games, like Dolphin
(02-21-2013, 11:44 PM)Rellac Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2013, 08:08 AM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]I think the key difference here is that games supporting the overlay come from Steam (i.e. they are Steam Apps). In this case Steam is just acting as a launcher to start up Dolphin. I don't believe the steam overlay is supported in any game/title launched that way. Getting Dolphin registered as a Steam app is likely impossible without funding/corporate backers, which are unlikely for an emulation application.
Most of my non-steam games support the overlay just fine without actually officially supporting it. As I said, many from before Steam was a thing. Morrowind/Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Stronghold Games, Civilisations Games, WoW, Minecraft, DDO, just to name a few. (I'm aware some of these were later released officially on steam but they had full unintentional support before being released there)

The only exceptions I've found are windowed games, REALLY old games and a few community project games, like Dolphin
I stand corrected. Haven't used Steam much outside of a Half-life 2 license that came with a prior video card, though I did get the THQ pack recently.
So it's been almost a month now, I just thought I would checkup and see if any progress has been made on Overlay support?
Probably not considering that there are no developers actively working on it and no branch for it. Did you open an issue report for it?
Well the dev that posted here implied that he was interested in it, I figured he might see to it.

How should I go about suggesting this officially?
http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/list

Open an issue ticket and have it marked as an enhancement.
It's been accepted so there you go. You can communicate with the devs through that page instead of the forums (they never visit this cesspool).
Hey, a few of us occasionally visit this cesspool!
The cool ones use IRC instead (exclusively that is). The cutting edge communications technology of the 1990s. Now available in color!
Pages: 1 2 3