Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is Dolphin Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While scouring my new-found home (this forum) and learning all about emulation, I see some people vaguely talking about "Dolphin Pro." All I know about it is that it's not out yet. Could someone tell me what it's all about? I couldn't find any info. Is it a big secret I'm not supposed to talk about? Confused
It's the enhanced version of Dolphin with experimental WiiU emulation (boots a few games e.g. New Super Mario Bros. U, Assassin's Creed 3, some homebrew). It also works on iOS 6 and Android 4.01+, though it's a bit rough around the edges, and you need to jailbreak most devices to get it running. Additionally, there are a crap-ton of bug-fixes not in the current master branch, and a new LLE recompiler for the DSP that runs just as fast as HLE audio (in some games, it's even faster!) $50 via PayPal is the going rate for it. Get on IRC and ask a dev, discreetly though.

Spoiler:
(01-29-2013, 04:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It's the enhanced version of Dolphin with experimental WiiU emulation (boots a few games e.g. New Super Mario Bros. U, Assassin's Creed 3, some homebrew). It also works on iOS 6 and Android 4.01+, though it's a bit rough around the edges, and you need to jailbreak most devices to get it running. Additionally, there are a crap-ton of bug-fixes not in the current master branch, and a new LLE recompiler for the DSP that runs just as fast as HLE audio (in some games, it's even faster!) $50 via PayPal is the going rate for it. Get on IRC and ask a dev, discreetly though.

Spoiler:
that was quick lol
So it's being developed along side dolphin 3.5/4.0? Or it's its own seperate entity?
Currently not all the developers are known, some prefer to remain anonymous. They host the project privately outside of Google Code, and may not want everything getting into the public. No one really knows if the current build is all there is, or if they are planning a bigger release at the same time of Dolphin 4.0.

Spoiler:
Just a sneak peek for you boys and girls.
[Image: ?idl=313594030344&out=2]
It's probably worth mentioning that the code base is so radically different atm that it can't be immediately merged into Dolphin's master branch. Some features will "trickle down" to the regular version of Dolphin as open-source software (e.g. getting Dolphin to run on Android is largely based on Dolphin Pro's implementation). It costs money to support research (i.e. money for buying a WiiU and games). Several systems have been hacked (and bricked) so you can imagine the reasoning for the $50 price tag. I don't know how they reconcile this with the GPL; it may be BSD or Apache or something.

Again, it's experimental, probably 2 or 3 years ahead of where Dolphin will be. We don't want to publicize this too much for being seen as another case like PJ64 :p
(01-29-2013, 06:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably worth mentioning that the code base is so radically different atm that it can't be immediately merged into Dolphin's master branch. Some features will "trickle down" to the regular version of Dolphin as open-source software (e.g. getting Dolphin to run on Android is largely based on Dolphin Pro's implementation). It costs money to support research (i.e. money for buying a WiiU and games). Several systems have been hacked (and bricked) so you can imagine the reasoning for the $50 price tag. I don't know how they reconcile this with the GPL; it may be BSD or Apache or something.

Again, it's experimental, probably 2 or 3 years ahead of where Dolphin will be. We don't want to publicize this too much for being seen as another case like PJ64 :p

Hey I like PJ64! It runs virtually every single N64 game!

But Dolphin Pro sounds pretty cool. I think in time as it starts to form more solidly I'd be happy to donate to help fund the project. I wouldn't even want access to anything, just knowing I could help in some small way would be enough. But until that time, I'll keep watching from the shadows. Cool
(01-29-2013, 06:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably worth mentioning that the code base is so radically different atm that it can't be immediately merged into Dolphin's master branch. Some features will "trickle down" to the regular version of Dolphin as open-source software (e.g. getting Dolphin to run on Android is largely based on Dolphin Pro's implementation). It costs money to support research (i.e. money for buying a WiiU and games). Several systems have been hacked (and bricked) so you can imagine the reasoning for the $50 price tag. I don't know how they reconcile this with the GPL; it may be BSD or Apache or something.

so you are telling me that there is a way more advanced dolphin emu (for gc and wii games) and it costs $50 to get it?
or is it a version that emulates only the wiiu games and no gc/wii support in implemented yet?

if in case nr1 (gc and wii support) i'd be tempted to flash out 50 bucks for an advanced dolphin emulator that has more speed/compatibility
if it is casenr2 (wiiu only) then i think i'd wait a bit because i dont have a wiiu yet and to play without that tabled could be problematic xP

(01-29-2013, 06:24 AM)sephiroth Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2013, 06:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Hey I like PJ64! It runs virtually every single N64 game!

except yoshi's story and conker bad fur day >.> (without any graphical glitches that is)
Very interesting but is current hardware sufficient for wii u?
-----
Very interesting, emulate wii u with today's hardware, you can?
Pages: 1 2