Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Runs perfectly on my desktop, but laptop?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys!

Been a long time reader and have been using dolphin successfully on my desktop for a long time - thank you so much for all your hard efforts in programming and in answering forums posts, its helped me a lot!

However, I run XBMC on an old laptop connected to my TV, its fine for movies, but I cant get dolphin to run smoothly on it. The minimum specs look like it should run with minimum settings.

Im using a samsung R780, specs found here: Link (Cnet)

All settings are default except:
Minimum res
Direct3D9
OpenMP Texture Decoder
Disable Fog
Enable Progressive scan

Am I just pushing this little old machine too far, or do you think with the correct config I could get it to work?

Any ideas greatly apreciated!

I should say, that for testing I dont have any other programs running, and I'm happy with just GC if its faster than wii.

Thanks!

Max
A few heavier games will struggle, what games do you plan to play?
I was hoping to play Mario Sunshine (gamecube) as a minimum and some other gamecube games I've got lying about. Then if possible I'd love to get wii sports running and then after THAT my perfect solution would run Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I tried Zelda with settings above and was only getting 50-75% emulation speed Sad

Any ideas?

EDIT: I should say the percentage I've quoted is not the one apparent in the title bar but how slow it felt to me where 100% would be totally smooth and 0% would be 0fps.
I'm afraid thats as much power that CPU can produce, you could also try these settings for best speed http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-set...unofficial
ah perfect! I'll give this a shot when I get home and see how I fair! Smile Can't see a +rep button, but if I could then I'd click it.
Your CPU is too weak for the demanding game - Zelda SS . My CPU barely run it at playable speed
Mario Sunshine should be ok though make sure you use "EFB copies to Texture" instead of "EFB ... Ram" . You'll need at least an i5 460M or better CPU to run Mario Sunshine full speed with "EFB ...Ram"
(09-17-2012, 03:41 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]You might also want to do the following.

In the ini setting, the game is set to run the game with EFB Copies to RAM.

Right-click on the game in Dolphin, then hit properties.
In the window that pops up, hit edit config, which you can find at the bottom-left of the window.

In the ini file that opens, at the bottom, you should see these three lines:
Code:
EFBAccessEnable = True
EFBToTextureEnable = False
EFBCopyEnable = True
Erase them, save the file, and see if it worked.

Check your laptop temp while Dolphin is running
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-lap...-slowdowns
Hi guys, thanks very much for your support, I tried all the above and got mario working but the laptop got too hot and shutdown!! I am now trying to use remote desktop to stream it from my desktop. This actually works surprisingly well! I have tried playing mario kart wii using the keyboard on the remote machine (over gigabit lan) and it works perfectly!

I have started a new thread to see if theres any way to pair the wii remote with the laptop and pass the commands over to the desktop. The new thread is here:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-rem...e-redirect

Thanks,