Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Thinking of a complete reboot...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Have you ever thought or wondered how many hours you have put in your games over the years?

Since I began with emulation in 1999 and PC games a couple of years before that I have accumulated quite a hefty sum of various save files with hundreds and hundres of hours put into them over the years.
Sad thing is, I rarely play any of my games from scratch anymore because of this. Sure it's great to have complete save games with everything unlocked but there really isn't much fun in playing if there is nothing left to do.
Feels like I'm playing for nothing actually.

I'm thinking either archiving them for good or maybe just delete them altogether. But could I live with myself if I deleted them? I'm not really sure, I mean can you put a value on save files?
I guess you can because it's basically my life.

Here's what I'm thinking; If I delete them everything is lost and I would hate myself for a while but on the other hand my desire for re-playing the games would increase and I get to experience all the magic once again.
Or maybe I just loose interest completely and jump off a cliff, no one really knows.

I'm tempted but I want your advice here before I do something I cannot revert.
If you can just archive them, why not? Just put them away, and start new games. Seems like a waste, but then again I play RPGs with thousands of hours invested into them. At any rate, as long as you know you beat them, that might be enough for you. I recently started an account on backloggery to keep track of what games I've beaten and which ones still need to be played. Maybe you don't need saves, just a checklist of what you've done?
Yeah and here's another thought; Are all games completable from start to finish? And what if I bump into problems. While the save games haven't changed much over the years the emulators have.
Take Super Mario Sunshine for example. The Scrubbing Sirena Beach level can be completed in Dolphin 3.0 altough not correctly, it's not completable in Dolphin 3.5 which makes the game uncompletable. What if there is other games for different systems that won't work too?

That is an aspect that points towards archiving.
Why don't you play newer games?

Also I don't think deleting the saves will rekindle your interest at all. You just don't want to replay those games that you've already beaten, period.
(01-15-2013, 07:54 AM)Duke Nukem Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah and here's another thought; Are all games completable from start to finish? And what if I bump into problems. While the save games haven't changed much over the years the emulators have.
Take Super Mario Sunshine for example. The Scrubbing Sirena Beach level can be completed in Dolphin 3.0 altough not correctly, it's not completable in Dolphin 3.5 which makes the game uncompletable. What if there is other games for different systems that won't work too?

That is an aspect that points towards archiving.

It couldn't be actually played in either version, so why bother at all? Having the mission insta-finished is about as boring as not being able to finish it at all.
(01-15-2013, 08:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you play newer games?

Also I don't think deleting the saves will rekindle your interest at all. You just don't want to replay those games that you've already beaten, period.

I never thought of it that way really. Maybe my interest is starting to fade for all these games.
But then again my interest for new games ain't much to celebrate for either. This year gonna be Crysis 3, PGA Tour 14 and Luigi's Mansion 2 and that's pretty much it.

(01-15-2013, 08:08 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]It couldn't be actually played in either version, so why bother at all? Having the mission insta-finished is about as boring as not being able to finish it at all.

Well 120 shines is better then the onces you can obtain before it's uncompletable but I understand your point completely.

EDIT:

Maybe I'll just sleep on it over the night and see what I do tomorrow.
Quote:This year gonna be Crysis 3, PGA Tour 14 and Luigi's Mansion 2 and that's pretty much it.

Oh god, those are all going to be shit.

Why don't you try some good games like the witcher 2?
(01-15-2013, 09:42 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:This year gonna be Crysis 3, PGA Tour 14 and Luigi's Mansion 2 and that's pretty much it.

Oh god, those are all going to be shit.

Why don't you try some good games like the witcher 2?

Why would Crysis 3 be a shit game, dare I ask?
It's going back to the main idea behind the first Crysis; graphical innovation.
What's so bad about that?

via neogaf:
[Image: crysis3_psycho_lampzljxb.gif]
This is rendered in realtime. What's so bad about that?
Please remove that gif, it is killing my laptop^^
(01-15-2013, 12:53 PM)dEnigma Wrote: [ -> ]Please remove that gif, it is killing my laptop^^
Done.
Pages: 1 2 3 4