Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5 3570k & Radeon 7970 - good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First and foremost: I do not have this system yet but it is what I will be getting eventually. Second I will not be overclocking any component. I presume this should a decent enough rig to run most games from the Gamecube & Wii.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($202.82 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.66 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($391.33 @ Newegg)

What do I expect to run?
  • Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker/Legend of Zelda, The: Four Swords Adventures/Twilight Princess (both)
  • Metroid Prime 1/2/3/Trilogy
  • Call of duty - Finest Hour/2
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Mario Sunshine
  • /Other Gamecube games I may like and or try (that I haven't before)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Wario Land: Shake It!
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Zangeki no Reginleiv
  • Legend of Zelda, The: Skyward Sword
  • Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories
  • Case Closed
  • Call of duty 3/World@War
  • /Other Wii games that may interest me (unknown @ this time)
  • Graphic settings I would like to see - better than what the separate consoles can do, and can show a noticeable difference.
  • Virtual consoles games will be played through separate emulator.
  • I do not have any part of the system yet, I just chose to give those because that seems like what would be needed to be known.
Please don't buy the "K" CPU if you are not overclocking XD (unless it's cheaper), it will kill me :p

For Twilight Princess you may want to overclock, and I think Call of Duty too.
Yeah if you are not overclocking you could save yourself some money and get a non k CPU and a b75 motherboard.
But yeah even without overclocking you should still have quite a nice dolphin experience.
The K edition is 30 - 50 dollars less than the non K.
Zangeki no Reginleiv is a very demanding game . Ocean had an i7 9xx @ 4.2GHz back then but still can't run the game full speed . Recent Dolphin version provide speed up for that game compared to old version . I think you will have good speed with that game , not full speed unless you overclock

Btw , i recommend Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 over that Asus mobo
As long as that AMD GPU doesn't have idle issue with Dolphin (GPU stays idle / underclock) , you can expect great performance with 4xInternal Res , 2x or 4x MSAA , 16x AF
Nvidia 600 & AMD 7000 series are known for having that issue . Nvidia 600 was fixed in latest Dolphin , don't know about AMD

Quote:Second I will not be overclocking any component
Edit : I forgot to say this :
Dolphin - multiplayers are very demanding . The more players you add the more slowdown you'll get
Games that need LLE to work properly require even more CPU power
i5 3570k without overclocking won't cut it . You must overclock !
k CPU is built for overclocker . I'm sure your CPU will last 10-20 years so don't worry about it
(01-13-2013, 12:52 PM)dlf Wrote: [ -> ]Metroid Prime 1/2/3 or Trilogy

"Trilogy" is useless if you got Metroid Prime 1/2/3 Tongue.
These games are very demanding. Don't expect full-speed at stock

(01-13-2013, 12:52 PM)dlf Wrote: [ -> ]Call of duty - Finest Hour/2
Call of duty 3/World at War

Same thing for COD series. Overclocked CPU required.
Btw COD2 is unplayable EVEN with an overclocked CPU
I won't play any multiplayer game or the multiplayer component of any game that has it. Only single player.
....ok. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread.
(01-18-2013, 12:39 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]....ok. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread.

Someone needs to read Wink

admin89 Wrote:Dolphin - multiplayers are very demanding . The more players you add the more slowdown you'll get

dif Wrote:I won't play any multiplayer game or the multiplayer component of any game that has it. Only single player.
I dont recommend the GPU for I had to RMA it twice before I just completely sold it due to issues from the drivers and other stuff AMD couldn't fix. I had trouble playing Far Cry 3 with the 7970 until I switch to the nvidia 670 which is my preference for my Dolphin gaming to about any games on Steam.
Pages: 1 2