Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A bold request.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I'm new here, and I apologize if this is a bit forward. I also know that this request will likely fall on deaf ears due to the overall scope of the request. But I'm just going to say it.

Why not release specific builds on tested and working games? Like 'Dolphin: Wind Waker Edition vX.XX'

Instead of having thousands of builds, branches, and code that breaks other code. I mean, that's how my folder is set up I have a build for every game, as dolphin already requires quite a bit of tweaking to get each game to work.

Think of how much you could narrow down bugs if you eliminated every instance of extra code but the ones used by that specific game! There are only 563 NTSC game cube games. There is already much more then that in Dolphin builds.

I know it's a bit crazy but it's just a thought. Undecided
(01-13-2013, 07:38 AM)Mako Wrote: [ -> ]I know I'm new here, and I apologize if this is a bit forward. I also know that this request will likely fall on deaf ears due to the overall scope of the request. But I'm just going to say it.

Why not release specific builds on tested and working games? Like 'Dolphin: Wind Waker Edition vX.XX'

Instead of having thousands of builds, branches, and code that breaks other code. I mean, that's how my folder is set up I have a build for every game, as dolphin already requires quite a bit of tweaking to get each game to work.

Think of how much you could narrow down bugs if you eliminated every instance of extra code but the ones used by that specific game! There are only 563 NTSC game cube games. There is already much more then that in Dolphin builds.

I know it's a bit crazy but it's just a thought. Undecided

well the problem with this would be that there would be literaly thousands of builds and to archive all that is quite the work.
its easier to steady the emulator on a single build because so many games already work with it and to get the complete single version is only possible through this way.

if you would make seperate builds for each game then how would you make 1 dolphin emu for all games?
that would be starting at the beginning of development.
Quote:if you would make seperate builds for each game then how would you make 1 dolphin emu for all games?

that would be starting at the beginning of development.
A tiny bit of an exaggeration there, most/all of the knowledge gained and documented is still there. But perhaps my request could use a bit more explaining.

A Gui or HUD if you will. That launches each game with it's specific build.

Quote:literaly thousands of builds
Well, correct me if I am wrong but... There are already thousands of builds and branches of builds. I have yet to find a game that works with another games settings. (I'm sure there are) but each game I played I had to copy the folder and generate specific hacks, patch and fixes specifically for that game. Not to mention changing the graphics backend which makes save states unstable.

If there is an over arcing setting that makes every patch and fix obsolete I'm all ears! But so far every game I own has wildly different settings.
(01-13-2013, 07:54 AM)Mako Wrote: [ -> ]But so far every game I own has wildly different settings.

Which games do you own? When I play Zelda Wind Waker, Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Brothers Wii and about 10 others, I only need to change one setting. I need to change EFB to Texture to EFB to RAM on a few of those games. If I had a better PC, I wouldn't need to change any settings and could just use EFB to RAM all the time.
Skies of Arcadia (Massive settings overhaul)
Tales of Symponia (Another pretty massive overhaul)
Zelda Wind Waker (Works best under DX11 but the above two games don't work -at all- under DX11 Also need to disable dist. alpha pass which breaks ToS.)
Zelda Twilight Princess (More demading games requires a bit of tweaking to get the speed right cannot use Wind Wakers settings, still not a 'big' deal)
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn (A massive overhaul in GPU settings. Only works under DX9 and the external frame buffer set to real, which breaks some of the games above) <- Seems this game is on a roller coster with every build, sometimes it works, most of the builds it doesn't.

Those are the only ones I tested. Only two have slight similar settings. Most of those are un-playable out of the box without some fiddling. My point was not to complain, I can get most/all to just work. I just have to have separate folders with a unique config for that game.

My way would mean users didn't have to configure each game at all! Only very minor tweaking. Smile But like I said I assume it to big of a change in the way you guys do things. Still, you have to be frustrated about code in newer builds breaking other code...
In any event, the idea is to have one complete emulator (or as close to complete as possible). There's no chance of this ever happening.
Why do we even have game .inis again?
Quote:Why do we even have game .inis again?
I don't understand... are you talking about the minor settings you can change in the properties?If that's the case most of the games need a different GPU backends.

If the game.ini somehow recorded GPU backends as well as it's settings THAT would be pretty close to what I was asking.

If your talking about something else could you please explain?
Code:
[Core]
gfxbackend = OpenGL

or
[Core]
gfxbackend = Direct3D9

or
[Core]
gfxbackend = Direct3D11
in your game .ini

I don't know if there is a documentation about game .ini but and you can look in your Dolphin.ini.
here is a old (some option outdated) dolphin config .ini,

there is some option like ProgressiveScan who are not configurable via game .ini
Neat! This will save allot of work! Thanks.
Pages: 1 2